Location of Fuse for Console Lights?

Boomer

Reaction score
Been tinkering a bit more on the '66 300 today, specifically the console shift area. Got the two dome/courtesy lights working a week or so back, opened the vacuum gauge to find a burned out #57 bulb but had no replacements.

Got replacements this past week and installed one today. No light. Checked the shift indicator which was also burned out, thinking they might be in series. It was toast, installed a new one, no luck.

The service manual diagram shows a separate fuse for the lighting. Looked up under the dash and found a single fuse holder, but it ended up going to the 4-way flasher. Difficult to see much more in the limited space (A/C hoses, etc). I have not removed the top of the console and checked in there, only popped the top enough to change to shift bulb.

Hoping someone can point me into the right area to dig so I don't needlessly start removing things looking for something that isn't there.

I should also add that the dash lights are (currently) working with the headlight switch. It's just the center console instruments that are out.

Thank you.

My FSM for '67 does not show a separate fuse for the console. ('66 may be different, I don't know)

There is a connector and ground behind the driver's side cowl vent cover. You might want to check there and then chase the wires to the console looking for an issue.

I'm assuming that you've already checked all fuses at the main fuse block. The fact that you have partial working lights at the console, kind of eliminates a main fuse issue. Unless there is still a moisture/corrosion issue.

If this car had an interior moisture issue, you may want to think about disassembling/cleaning every bulb socket and connector. You'd be amazed how much funk can build up over time causing all kinds of grounding trouble.

Does a '66 have a center dome light or C-pillar lights? Do these lights work?

The wiring runs under the front seat and carpet. Maybe check that as well.

Don't know if you have one yet, but a color wiring diagram is a must have for me.

You can get one here:

Classic Car Wiring . Com : Home of the original color laminated classic car wiring diagram

Hope the input helps.

John

The fuse for the console lights is the same as the other interior lamps. One circuit for all. If just your console lamps are not working, it sounds like you have a bad bulb(s) or a bad connector under the console top.

Thanks for the tips. I need to go back to the manual and have another look. I don't recall now if the side courtesy lights are on the same fuse, thought they were different but it sounds familiar that one feed runs the whole console. If so, then yep - the problem is elsewhere. Both the side console courtesy lights are working (bad bulbs) and I put two new #57 bulbs in both the vacuum gauge and shift display(also bad bulbs), both are still dark. Never thought to stuff the DVM probes into the sockets to check for power, ground, etc.

Weekend is coming up....

Just took a look at the digital manual I have on the laptop and sure enough - it appears there is no separation between the courtesy and instrument lights - just power to the console plug. In looking at the schematic, M1B is the separate fuse, while the M1A return seems to also go through fuse E in the fuse block which handles the instrument lights in general. And all the titles for Dome, Console, and Instruments are clumped together in that area. I either read or remembered wrong.

I'll get in there with a meter and see if there's even power at those two sockets before getting too excited or confused, then go from there. I'm probably between 65-70% sorted on the electrical problems so far.

Back