LS motor in NYB

Here, Payton:
Now we can lock up the thread. Hey @tallhair

51EZeF3lc3L._SX384_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

The LS engine has some neat design features that make it easy to do certain things MUCH easier than other engines. It's got some great cylinder heads and the cyl deactivation helps fuel economy some. Although I haven't been that close to the Gen III Hemi, I'd consider both engines "in the same league".

Pre-fab kits to place it in earlier Chevy vehicles (as '72 and prior pickup trucks) have been around for years, now. It can be carb'd and such, too. BUT how would those attributes make it worthy of being transplanted into a Chrysler product?? Other than the fact that no new front springs would be needed as it should be lighter than a B/RB iron block engine? Same situation as with the Gen III Hemi!

OR does somebody need an extended Winter project?

CBODY67

Years ago, I had a parts customer that also built and restored Chevies. One afternoon, I went over to his place after work (shop behind his house). He had a V-12 Lincoln in the shop. Pretty original and in good shape. I asked what he was getting ready to do. He replied that he was going to strip the V-12 and trans out and put a Cadillac V-8 and THM400 in it. I'd already heard his stories of how poor the Ford/Lincoln flathead V-8/V-12 engines were on trips/tours, needing a pickup and trailer as the flatheads usually had some reliability issues. So, he was going to put a modern powertrain in it. Still, I was puzzled. "Why a Cadillac and not a Ford 460?" Although he was from the generation when swapping Cadillac, Buick, or Olds V-8s into other brand vehicles was somewhat common (depending on what the local salvage yards had in stock). In this case, he had a buddy that worked at the nearby Cadillac dealer. When they'd change an engine, the buddy got it "for scrap". So THAT was his connection.

He put an ad in Hemmings Motor News and sold the engine/trans to a guy in CA that needed one for his restoration, so it went to a good place. How that sale was consummated is another story!

It used to be that everybody allegedly chose a small block Chevy V-8 as it was small in size, good on power, easy to acquire (before the crate engine craze began), and less expensive to rebuild. Not so sure the LS family still fits that criteria, though, to the same degree. BTAIM.

CBODY67

Years ago, I had a parts customer that also built and restored Chevies. One afternoon, I went over to his place after work (shop behind his house). He had a V-12 Lincoln in the shop. Pretty original and in good shape. I asked what he was getting ready to do. He replied that he was going to strip the V-12 and trans out and put a Cadillac V-8 and THM400 in it. I'd already heard his stories of how poor the Ford/Lincoln flathead V-8/V-12 engines were on trips/tours, needing a pickup and trailer as the flatheads usually had some reliability issues. So, he was going to put a modern powertrain in it. Still, I was puzzled. "Why a Cadillac and not a Ford 460?" Although he was from the generation when swapping Cadillac, Buick, or Olds V-8s into other brand vehicles was somewhat common (depending on what the local salvage yards had in stock). In this case, he had a buddy that worked at the nearby Cadillac dealer. When they'd change an engine, the buddy got it "for scrap". So THAT was his connection.

He put an ad in Hemmings Motor News and sold the engine/trans to a guy in CA that needed one for his restoration, so it went to a good place. How that sale was consummated is another story!

It used to be that everybody allegedly chose a small block Chevy V-8 as it was small in size, good on power, easy to acquire (before the crate engine craze began), and less expensive to rebuild. Not so sure the LS family still fits that criteria, though, to the same degree. BTAIM.

CBODY67

Sounds like a great way to make a $40k classic into a $4000 hot rod... and it's not as if solving flathead cooling issues is akin to splitting an atom.

CBODY67
The SBC was, and I suppose still is the cheapest thing out there. I'm sure this is slowly changing as the engines have not been used in production for a long time. The giant aftermarket that grew to support putting a SBC into anything and the endless variety of kits available to make (theoretically) into whatever you wanted it to be.

They weren't bad engines, but price was their redeeming quality for hotrodding. They aren't really that small or that lightweight. There certainly were versions that had very good performance, but it's not like any other brand didn't have a matching or better engine. The failure to fully jacket the front and rear cylinders means you will find hurt ones usually fail in cylinder 7 or 8.

I realize the LS has nothing in common with the cast iron engines... but the only thing going for it, in my opinion, is the aftermarket figured they better continue to provide for a current platform... or they would wind up like the segment that caters to flathead Fords, the former cheapest thing out there.
I'm kinda up in arms on what to do with my Yorker. Has anyone swapped a ls into a Yorker ? I'm sure I'm gonna catch alot of flack over this . Just curious really considering it.
I am curious why you started two threads about the same subject at almost the same time?

As far as butchering a car you bought for a nice price and in very nice condition... why not just enjoy her as she is for a season first? That car has appeal to a number of us and ones in the condition yours appears to be in are not getting easier to find.

If you swap a chevy in, most of us will see it as another F'ed up parts donor at best. The Mopar swap may get wider approval, but not by too much... I'm not 100% purest, but I'm at least a solid 80% or so... I have one very much like yours, but in worse condition. I love my NYB, which I originally bought as a parts car for the Imperials. Please reconsider killing off a good one on a whim.

I seen a preview of GYC putting a Hellcat "Crate Engine" in a 1973 Challenger. Should be interesting to see all the mods to make that work.

Thank you everyone for the input means alot . I can't really tell how y'all feel about this subject and Respect . Think I'll just keep the ls swap for my rivi.

I'm glad you didn't run off. We do have passion for these boats,and some of us definitely let it show.

Back