Michigan changes rules for Antique / Historic cars

MoPar~Man

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Haggerty has a story about a recent change to Michigan's rules on driving a car with historic license plates, or (I guess) otherwise registered as a "historic" vehicle.

Michigan's laws were similar to Ontario (Canada) where if you register your car as historic, it severely limits how much and in what circumstances you can drive the car, presumably you are doing this because insurance companies recognize this designation and offer greatly reduced insurance rates and the trade-off is worth it to you.

In 2012 the law in Michigan was changed slightly to allow for unlimited driving during the month of August. Below is part of the Haggerty article, it doesn't exactly say why you would want to have your car registered as antique. It gives a false impression that these people had no choice and had to register their cars as antiques and live with the restrictions.

==================
According to the way the law was previously written, a vehicle with historic or authentic license plates could only be used for “participation in club activities, exhibitions, tours, parades, and similar uses, including mechanical testing, but is not used for general transportation.” The new legislation expands the definition of “exhibition” considerably. The full language reads:

Sec. 20a. “Historic vehicle” means a vehicle that is over 25 years old and that is owned solely as a collector’s item and for participation in club activities, exhibitions, tours, parades, and similar uses, including mechanical testing, but is not used for general transportation. For purposes of this section, use of the vehicle during the period from Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day each year is considered an exhibition.

Plenty of drivers ignored the prior law, but there was always the chance that law enforcement would issue a citation for usage outside of the guidelines.
===================

Haggerty has a story about a recent change to Michigan's rules on driving a car with historic license plates, or (I guess) otherwise registered as a "historic" vehicle.

Michigan's laws were similar to Ontario (Canada) where if you register your car as historic, it severely limits how much and in what circumstances you can drive the car, presumably you are doing this because insurance companies recognize this designation and offer greatly reduced insurance rates and the trade-off is worth it to you.

In 2012 the law in Michigan was changed slightly to allow for unlimited driving during the month of August. Below is part of the Haggerty article, it doesn't exactly say why you would want to have your car registered as antique. It gives a false impression that these people had no choice and had to register their cars as antiques and live with the restrictions.

==================
According to the way the law was previously written, a vehicle with historic or authentic license plates could only be used for “participation in club activities, exhibitions, tours, parades, and similar uses, including mechanical testing, but is not used for general transportation.” The new legislation expands the definition of “exhibition” considerably. The full language reads:

Sec. 20a. “Historic vehicle” means a vehicle that is over 25 years old and that is owned solely as a collector’s item and for participation in club activities, exhibitions, tours, parades, and similar uses, including mechanical testing, but is not used for general transportation. For purposes of this section, use of the vehicle during the period from Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day each year is considered an exhibition.

Plenty of drivers ignored the prior law, but there was always the chance that law enforcement would issue a citation for usage outside of the guidelines.
===================

[/URL]
Same rules apply in Minnesota. I drive my old cars all the time, and have had no issues whatsoever regarding the collector plate on any of my cars.

That first listing for participation, that's vague enough that you can use it as an excuse. A guy at the state told me to use that loophole. How the hell does a cop know where you are going, or what you are doing?

So do you have to register your classic "Historic" to have collector car insurance? In Arizona I have Haggerty with regular passenger car registration. The state has no restrictions on how I drive it. Of course Haggerty says I can't drive it to work but being retired I'm fine with that.

I don't see a problem, I regularly have to "mechanically test" my vehicles. Sometimes it takes all day and many miles to completely test.

So do you have to register your classic "Historic" to have collector car insurance? In Arizona I have Haggerty with regular passenger car registration. The state has no restrictions on how I drive it. Of course Haggerty says I can't drive it to work but being retired I'm fine with that.
At this point I do not have mine registered as historical just regular plates and insurance through Hagerty is not a problem.

including mechanical testing
Every time, all the time. If this is a L.E.O.'s focus they need to have their job revaluated, they are wasting taxpayers money. I'm going to say that this is more the reporter "mailing in a half assed report will no real meaning", just to get the check.

Back