Mind blown…

If we're going to judge, let's judge that Brodozer being used to tow it away...

1726157574591.png

I had heard that Imperials weren't allowed as derby cars because you couldn't kill them and they always won. Guess not.
Probably pre 67 full frame cars. 67 and up isn't much different structurally speaking than any other unibody Cbody.

Those full frame Imps had a well deserved reputation.

Kevin

The more a pickup is made to look artificially bigger, the smaller the 'schvantz', as in the case of the knuckle dragger hauling away this Imperial to the derby.....
I call it Little Dick Syndrome, or LDS.

YES!, In the late Seventies, in New Jersey anyway, they outlawed Imperials. I saw the entry form: "In fairness to all our competitors, no Chrysler Imperials"! My friends told me one time at the Flemington, NJ track that the only 2 cars left were Imperials and they just bashed away at each other! When I sold My '65 Crown Coupe a friend told it probably would be a derby car but the guy who bought told me no he wanted to drive it. When you sell a car there is nothing you can do about what the next guy is going to do.

I went to many DD's as a child in the 80's and always rooted for the Chryslers. From what I saw, the late 60's Chryslers usually didn't do too well. I seem to remember them stalling out a lot and become sitting ducks. The rear ends also usually got bent straight up like a turkey tail. The 69-72 Chryslers usually seemed to do pretty well with their full wrap-around front bumpers. And the rear end usually compressed more straight.

Nowadays though I have no desire to watch anyone smash up old cars regardless of the brand.

It's an absolute blast to send them off *** packing GM wagons and sedans though :lol:. Don't knock all of us derby guys. We're not all the same. Cracks me up though whenever derby is mentioned on this forum and it's send them straight to the cross type situation. We buy cars that are for sale. Anyone can buy them. We just buy them since no one else does
Perfect example the ABS on the 73 imperial I scrapped. I could have easily been greedy and accepted the $1000 offer I had for the complete abs system but I declined because shipping all that would have been a PITA so I accepted an offer that wasn't even near half of that original offer just so because he showed up and pulled the parts. Derby guys are not all dirt bags....

I had heard that Imperials weren't allowed as derby cars because you couldn't kill them and they always won. Guess not.
that's what surprised me. I thought they were banned by name owing to how they were built like brick shithouses.

On a side note, I'd imagine in a mad max scenario and if you had all the guzzoline you ever needed...a body on frame imperial could probably work. that, or a p71 crown vic.

I've always been turned off by the " I'm the new caretaker" thing. I've been a car guy all my life, but they are just metal, and the new owner bought that can do with it as he pleases. Some cars have a big following like the E bodies my son and I have, and others do not. Anyone could have bought that car, but a derby guy came with cash, and it is his to do what he wants with it. It doesn't make him a dirtbag, just a guy with a conflicting hobby. I like to see old cars saved and put back on the road, but it does not always work out.

Back