Modern radio

66furys

Reaction score
I have read and researched, and the singular radio I found was a rebuilt on Ebay, and could not get a reply on fitment. It surprises me that there is no am/fm modern to fit the dash on this 66 fury. Simple two knobs and a display window....wth is so hard. Anyone found a replacement that will fit the dash on the beasties? thanks And of course, mama mopar probably had three hundred variants of fitment for just the C body.....

This of course wouldn't have the same look. Back in the 90's I got an extra radio bezel for my 68 NYer and trimmed the holes out so that a modern DIN radio would fit. In my current 68 NYer I built a wood console that sits on the hump and the factory radio resides in the dash.

What about using a bluetooth adapter with the original radio? I did something similar in my old chevy, but I'm not sure if it would work for mopars. Just throwing ideas out there

I have read and researched, and the singular radio I found was a rebuilt on Ebay, and could not get a reply on fitment. It surprises me that there is no am/fm modern to fit the dash on this 66 fury. Simple two knobs and a display window....wth is so hard. Anyone found a replacement that will fit the dash on the beasties? thanks And of course, mama mopar probably had three hundred variants of fitment for just the C body.....
"WTH is so hard"? Back then, every car's instrument panel was different and NOT flat. Curves, angles, peaks etc in the middle of the instrument panel area where the radio was. With a specific-to-the-car shaft spacing, usually, too. NOTHING universal, which is what all of the later "modern" radios are. NO "fit kits" to adapt them, either. ONLY upgrades from the factory were to AM-FM mono until the 1968 model year when 8-track tapes became optional, which required a different bezel, too. THAT is what is so hard!

Wanted FM, an under-dash unit to "adapt" to the in-dash unit. If you wanted a Stereo 8-track and FM Stereo addition, that was in an under-dash (or hump mount, in the case of Pioneer) unit. THAT was how it was done back then. Of course, had to add the stereo speakers. Usually in the front kick panels or cut-up the door trim panels for some 5.25" round speakers, plus the dual 6x9s in the rear package tray deck.

Back then, no "head units" or need for "amps" as sub-woofers hadn't been invented yet.

A different world back then, as to "auto sound".

Respectfully,
CBODY67

In many cases, the shaft spacing can be the same, but it is the subtle differences in the bezel area that make the difference.

For example, many of the pre-'67 C-body instrument panels might look like they could easily support a different or aftermarket in-dash unit, but when the flat aftermarket faceplate is put against the panel, THEN you notice lots of the subtle things I mention. We all want a factory-look radio to result with the aftermarket unit, but it might end up looking "hacked-in" many times. Some might do a better job than others in the addition, but still not completely "factory".

In the case of the '67-'68 Chrysler "thumbwheel" instrument panels, that subtle peak in the middle can be an issue. Better to use a flat piece to make that transition, which can also related to some diferent support structures behind it. Radios need a "back brace", by observation, for both radio chassis stability AND as a chassis ground path, for good measure. Even with a manufacturer flat panel, a radio with physical pushbuttons, due to the vertical angle, would still show the bottom of their pushbuttons "to the public".

On the 1969-'73 Chrysler panels, such negative tilt resulted in a few subtle differences. One is the pushbuttons were installed upside down, leaving what would normally be the shiny top surface to still be in plain sight when installed upside down. The other subtle difference is that the "dial" area is slanted rearward at its top to maintain a vertical orientation. Otherwise, an C-body radio would fit a C-body instrument panel.

For the 1974 model year, Chrysler standardized their B- and C-body radios into the flat panel orientation, which worked with a dedicated radio area of the panel. This opened the door for many aftermarket companies to offer "factory look-alike" products for dealers to sell to customers.

Then, with increasing technology and such, Gary Tayman and Aurora Designs entered the picture. Many companies were doing "retro look" radios with modern guts, but AD took an existing radio chassis and put modern guts in it. With better and higher-power audio amps, plus Bluetooth, USB, etc. in the mix. After first hearing of these conversions, it now seems that Aurora Designs has a USA-wide network of locations which can do these conversions.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

The question is do you want "radio" or just to be able to have music? If it is just music there are options that do not involve the factory radio. My Barracuda had a box under the dash, Bluetooth and kick panel speakers, The factory AM radio still works through the single dash speaker.

Alan

Back