Mopar car chase Mad Mad Mad World 1963

Turboomni

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
With Spencer Tracy!!

Last edited:
I watched that movie many times as a kid, I enjoyed a good chase and crazyness! It's a great old classic that everyone should watch, car guy or not!

That chase scene is a great way to observed Chrysler TorsionAire suspension dynamics in action.

About 20 years or so ago, I found some comments about that chase and the orchestration thereof. NO vehicle modifications, other than to the '57 Ford that Spencer Tracy drove off the cliff. Stop the video when you get a shot of the car's underside and you'll see something of the radio-controlled steering on the car (mostly sourced from military surplus items, the comments mentioned).

I do suspect that vehicle tire pressures were maximized, though, from the looks of things. Wonder how much a modern set of radials might have made in how well the cars cornered? Rather than the quality bias ply tires from back then.

The old Ford convertible that Phil Silvers drove into an alleged low water crossing in the river is another story! Rigged to simulate a broken oil pan, but between the time the location was investigated and when the shooting happened, the river's flow increased a good bit, with additional unintended dangers to Mr. Silvers' performance.

The comments were from the grandson of the man who did the vehicle prep for the movie. When he interviewed his grandfather in later years.

Even when the movie was on tv for the first time, I liked seeing how well it made the Chryslers look!

CBODY67

I love that movie!! @CBODY67 - FWIW, the car that drove off the cliff at the beginning was driven by Jimmy Durante - who after telling the story about the money buried under the big dubbleya, kicked the bucket (literally)!!

Correct. Spencer Tracy was in the black Dodge 2-dr sedan.

Thanks,
CBODY67

Lol - no problem... That movie is literally in my top ten. It's a who's who of everyone famous at the time. Even the 3 Stooges make an appearance, as the fire crew waiting for Buddy Hackett (not Lou Costello as I first said) to land the airplane that when Jim Backus knocks himself out...

Such a great movie!

Last edited:
I too am a Big fan of this classy and very funny classic movie. I have had copies of this wonderful 1963 movie in my video library for many years. Nearly every famous comedian of the time was in this film, even Don Knotts, Buster Keaton, and Jerry Lewis make an appearance. I love the all the automotive craziness, especially the big Mopar chase scene at the end. But one of my favorite parts is the wild drunken flight by Jim Backus, Mickey Rooney and Buddy Hackett (not Lou Costello). I am also a very big fan of Abbott and Costello, all their movies, TV shows, and radio programs as well. I highly recommend seeing this movie with the whole family, and watch anything with Abbott and Costello too. Enjoy!

I watched it with my daughters several years ago and they enjoyed it even though they didn’t think they would haha.

No problem Mr. Wooldridge. We're Here to Help, Not to Hurt. Enjoy the comedy magic of both Lou Costello and Buddy Hackett.

Back