My 76 New Yorker …

Ok I got it

My car were supposed to be built on 31 of Marc

But been built on march 23

First Safety Check in France
She made it ❤️

But .. there’s always a but … I was driving in town during hot weather … suddenly I smell a burnt smell…

I turned off the car, car made a “funny” air/bubble/sigh sound .. I poped the hood.. smoke was coming from the air cleaner …

Also spotted a leak from my steering power pump..

I might pumping my gas pedal too much while starting .. she definitely struggling to start when she’s cold… could that be related?

I love this car .. she means a lot to me… but sometimes… yeah …

Thank you

IMG_1930.jpeg

When starting these old 4 bbl carbs after a few days, first you give it a full to the floor and back shot of gas just incase there is enough to fire. If not do another then turn engine over counting to 4, give another shot and turn engine over, if no fire just repeat. This will keep the starter from over heating and your battery from going dead. (maybe) Don't keep pumping while turning over like a rabbit have sex. The rapid pumping will wear your shafts and throttle pump. As for the mist from carb/ air cleaner it sounds like you may have full percolation going on, fuel boiling and some run on. What is your engine timing, condition of rad? Do you know how hot your engine is getting. Did Nick not do a full tune on the engine for you?

When starting these old 4 bbl carbs after a few days, first you give it a full to the floor and back shot of gas just incase there is enough to fire. If not do another then turn engine over counting to 4, give another shot and turn engine over, if no fire just repeat. This will keep the starter from over heating and your battery from going dead. (maybe) Don't keep pumping while turning over like a rabbit have sex. The rapid pumping will wear your shafts and throttle pump. As for the mist from carb/ air cleaner it sounds like you may have full percolation going on, fuel boiling and some run on. What is your engine timing, condition of rad? Do you know how hot your engine is getting. Did Nick not do a full tune on the engine for you?

Thank you very much for the reply.
I know how to start properly now.

Yes Nick did a tune up .. but apparently.. something is still wrong

Couple thoughts:

Does the choke work properly? Reason I ask is, I had a 65 New Yorker with 413 and my not knowing the choke wasn’t working on cold starts! She was a ***** to get started.. once warmed up! Ran like a champ.

Second, these cars have a history of “Heat Soke” during hot weather, being so hot the fuel boils out/ off from the carb making her difficult to start.. assuming you have the OE carburetor setup on the engine..

Just my 2 cents.

Couple thoughts:

Does the choke work properly? Reason I ask is, I had a 65 New Yorker with 413 and my not knowing the choke wasn’t working on cold starts! She was a ***** to get started.. once warmed up! Ran like a champ.

Second, these cars have a history of “Heat Soke” during hot weather, being so hot the fuel boils out/ off from the carb making her difficult to start.. assuming you have the OE carburetor setup on the engine..

Just my 2 cents.

Very informative thank you very much

But what could make my air filter to smoke ?

I read something about the breather ..

Very informative thank you very much

But what could make my air filter to smoke ?

I read something about the breather ..
That might just be fuel vapor coming up through the carburetor through the air filter , and then out of the cleaner, just an uneducated guess..

What is the smell like? and what color is it?

You heard the odd noise from engine when it was shut off, but the engine didn't quiet shut of right away? It kinda coughed? If so that is called run on, your engine tune is out. If it is running on, that is usually from timing retarded, idle screw is set to deep/open to compensate for the restarted timing, the restarted timing causes a hot running engine and the misery continues.

Do you have a timing light? vacuum gauge?

Unfortunately I don’t have any of those

A timing light is something I think everyone with an old car should own. I think you are in France (although your location says Canada) so I don't have a source for one for you. To give an example, this Harbor Freight version is only $30 https://www.harborfreight.com/timing-light-with-advance-40963.html but spending a little more gets a timing light with more features. I have one of these. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EVYGV4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Vacuum gauges are cheap and this one will check pressure too, so you can check fuel pressure if needed. https://www.harborfreight.com/fuel-pump-and-vacuum-tester-62637.html?_br_psugg_q=vacuum+gauge

You heard the odd noise from engine when it was shut off, but the engine didn't quiet shut of right away? It kinda coughed? If so that is called run on, your engine tune is out. If it is running on, that is usually from timing retarded, idle screw is set to deep/open to compensate for the restarted timing, the restarted timing causes a hot running engine and the misery continues.
It seems to be exactly what happened

Too bad my car just got tuned in Nick’s garage ..

Back