Need help to ID broken wires

Dragon88

Reaction score
Hello,

i have a Chrysler Imperial 1972

Does anyone have a id what the wire 2 or 3 are for?

What i found out:
Wire 1 goes to the oil presser light sensor (is connected)
and wire 2 or 3 goes to the oil presser sensor gauge (i have that one to but with no wire to it)

I don't know where 3de wire is for. hope some knows?
they all seem to be white cables with black stripe

i want to fix them but have to know what is what.

hope someone can help

2024-03-03 15.33.52.jpg

2024-03-03 15.35.05.jpg

Google Mymopar wiring diagrams.....the site hosts a whole bunch of mopar diagrams for specific car..... download the '72 diagrams....there are two within specific to the Imperial.

The wiring schematics are in the FSM. Knowing the color codes, you can see what they go to.

www.mymopar.com Then find the FSM in their list. Free download.

CBODY67

The wiring schematics are in the FSM. Knowing the color codes, you can see what they go to.

www.mymopar.com Then find the FSM in their list. Free download.

CBODY67
Bad link. It left the "my" off for some unknown reason. Service Manuals – MyMopar

EDIT: I clicked on your link rather than look in my own bookmarks. When I realized that the link was bad, I forgot why I even clicked on it. LOL.... Anyway... I had tried to download that '72 Chrysler manual once before and it's actually a Plymouth manual that it mislabeled. I had wondered if it had been updated.

Last edited:
I will have a look later today when I go to the garage with Imperial stashed. Put the service manual is a good source.

Hello,

i have a Chrysler Imperial 1972

Does anyone have a id what the wire 2 or 3 are for?

What i found out:
Wire 1 goes to the oil presser light sensor (is connected)
and wire 2 or 3 goes to the oil presser sensor gauge (i have that one to but with no wire to it)

I don't know where 3de wire is for. hope some knows?
they all seem to be white cables with black stripe

i want to fix them but have to know what is what.

hope someone can help

View attachment 647671
View attachment 647672
These wires are color coded and it would really help if you told the color of the wires.

Is the wire in a harness? Original tape wrap? Given the location on the firewall, I'll bet that if you trace that harness down to the bulkhead connector, you can see that wire where it connects into the bulkhead connector. From there, it's just a matter of looking in the FSM wiring diagrams and figuring it out.

If it's just a wire, no tape wrap, not in a harness, it could be a random wire from something a previous owner added.

Thank you all.
i have a hard copy of the service manual and there i found out that 1 is for Oil Presser light and 1 for oil presser gauge. but the third wire is a mystery.
See nothing in that area where could connect to beside the Oil sensors.

I will have a look later today when I go to the garage with Imperial stashed. Put the service manual is a good source.
Thanks hope you can see it on your Imperial

These wires are color coded and it would really help if you told the color of the wires.

Is the wire in a harness? Original tape wrap? Given the location on the firewall, I'll bet that if you trace that harness down to the bulkhead connector, you can see that wire where it connects into the bulkhead connector. From there, it's just a matter of looking in the FSM wiring diagrams and figuring it out.

If it's just a wire, no tape wrap, not in a harness, it could be a random wire from something a previous owner added.
All 3 are White wit Black stripe
they go into a original wire harness.
I will try to trace without the need top peel open the whole harness

All 3 are White wit Black stripe
That doesn't sound right at all.

Chrysler wouldn't run 3 wires with the same color code in the same are to 3 different places.

EDIT: Just looked in my '70 FSM (don't have a 72) and the sender wire for the oil pressure and temperature warning switches are gray with tracer (black stripe) and the oil pressure sending unit is gray without a tracer. Bet your wires are actually gray and not white!

Last edited:
That doesn't sound right at all.

Chrysler wouldn't run 3 wires with the same color code in the same are to 3 different places.

EDIT: Just looked in my '70 FSM (don't have a 72) and the sender wire for the oil pressure and temperature warning switches are gray with tracer (black stripe) and the oil pressure sending unit is gray without a tracer. Bet your wires are actually gray and not white!
Yes i think its gray idd was hard to see.

so 1 gray black stripe is going to the oil pressure warning light and the gray without black stripe going to the oil pressure sending unit.
and the third wire is for the temperature warning light but whre do i connect that on? i dont see anything in that place (back side of the motor) whare another sensor is. online some cooling sensors on the front.

Yes i think its gray idd was hard to see.

so 1 gray black stripe is going to the oil pressure warning light and the gray without black stripe going to the oil pressure sending unit.
and the third wire is for the temperature warning light but whre do i connect that on? i dont see anything in that place (back side of the motor) whare another sensor is. online some cooling sensors on the front.
Someone more familiar with the Imperial is going to have to answer that. @Boydsdodge will probably have a better answer.

All I can see is what is shown in my '70 FSM wiring diagram and that is only a piece of the puzzle. It's time for someone with some Imperial tribal knowledge to pull it together.

1709680253642.jpeg
1709680267236.jpeg
These two black with white tracer wires go to the trans safety switch. Is this what you are looking for?

Thank you all and help a lot and found it.
The 2 gray with black stripe wires are both have to go to the connector on the oil presser warning light.
sometimes i have to learn the logics of wiring in this car. :p
goes in the connecter and the other wire comes out of the connecter goes to the cooling temperature warning light sensor on front of the motor.
have replace al the cables for the sensors, they are all bad, broken or gone.

Back