New garage for the C's..

To say that we have had a busy summer is an understatement
New job, no time off for car shows..not even spare time to cut the grass until it is too tall.
We had 2 Shelties have puppies and once old enough they found their forever homes.
We lost storage for the classics in April so we brought them home. Been outside all summer.
So once we get settled in the new shop all the cars will get a proper wash and wax.

Do you really need the I-beam? Will you get 2 cars in there, or more? I would turn the driveway into a sort of covered car-port, enough space there to keep a couple more cars sheltered.

Do you really need the I-beam? Will you get 2 cars in there, or more? I would turn the driveway into a sort of covered car-port, enough space there to keep a couple more cars sheltered.
The I beam is required by our city planner.
Kinda overkill but so is the wall framing which is 2x6.
32x32. Lotsa room for the big cars.
Plan is get a 4 post parking hoist to stack 2 cars.

2 x 6 for a garage? I-beam? You sure that's not Ontario building code? I wouldn't have thought that Ontario cities have their own building codes.

Wow. The new digs look great! Looks like you have some great room for a work bench on the left. Thanks for the update.

Fantastic layout for a shop and cars.
Why wasn't the wall sheathing installed before the walls were lifted into place?
Much easier to install while on the floor and keeps wall square.

Fantastic layout for a shop and cars.
Why wasn't the wall sheathing installed before the walls were lifted into place?
Much easier to install while on the floor and keeps wall square.
Dont know.
The contractor has 40 years experience and I am assuming they have theiir own way of doing things.

Sheets and barrier are laid down on the roof.
Also had our cable/ internet service provider raise their wire up away from roof.
Tomorrow..tin roof..brand new not rusted!! Lol!

20240910_183046.jpg

20240910_183259.jpg

Very nice! 32 x 32 is a generous size for a garage, and if it's going to be sharing space for dog washing and grooming that makes sense and will give the C's some maneuvering space. That reminds me of @DocMcNeedy 's new garage which also had plans for a dog servicing area.

2x6 is a nice upgrade for stud walls, and I wish I had used that size instead of 2x4 when I built mine years ago. I would have used 2x6 with 3x6 @ 48" o.c. and for all blocking. The steel beam over the door opening will give you a higher opening height when compared to using a 4x wood member (which would be no problem spanning a garage door opening btw). If it was wood it would have to be at least a 4x16 LVL or glue lam. However, I'm a fan of integrating steel into a wood framed structure - give you more flexibility in design overall. The connections are specialized, though. Keep the updates coming!

The garages look great!

We’re getting closer to inhabiting our 4 car garage…
It’ll have the Dakota trail epoxy floor and is heated.

We’re planning on playing pickle ball in it.
Back wall is 3/4” plywood.

IMG_2395.jpeg
IMG_2325.png
IMG_2292.jpeg

Back