New Member - 71 Newport "barn find" clean car

Thanks again guys, I really am overwhelmed with the interest, certainly did not expect such a hardcore . If any. following for this type of car.
Well today is my first day of my much needed 2 week vacation. Loafing my truck today with all the stuff I think I'll need. Then 4am tomorrow, my girlfriend, dog and myself are hitting the road!

Plan on arriving in Dallas early Thursday morning. Drop my dog off at daycare, as it will be too hot for the furball to be hanging around all day loading the car and such. Pick up the trailer from south Dallas then head an hour south with my mate to where he's been storing it at his dads shop for me.

2 come alongs and a bunch of tow straps, should be enough to pull this beast onto to trailer. I hope! Anyways I will keep you guys posted and snap lots of pictures. Also hoping to get some video to document the whole process. Wish us luck of a successful retrieval in that hot Texas sun!

Cheers,
Sam

Ya dont tell them what your hauling I did when I got my fury n found out after the fact that they charge j double for a heavy duty trailer that is identical to the other ones

Do this on level ground as possible.

3 people is optimum but can be done by yourself just takes a little longer.

Jack the trailer somewhat level.

Chock the wheels on the trailer .. I use a cinder block between the tires (dual axle) on my trailer.

I put a block of wood under the rear edge of the trailer too keep it from bottoming out when the car starts to pull onto the trailer.

Now the trailer is immobilized can't go forward or back and can't cantilever.

Next run a tow strap from the car you need to load (I wrap around K frame and try not get get any trans lines involved).

The tow vehicle is in front of the trailer and the vehicle to be loaded is behind trailer

Run the tow strap through the front of the trailer to the tow vehicle (the trailer is disconnected from tow vehicle and chalked).

Have someone sit in the car and steer.

Take it slow and pull the tow vehicle slowly forward .. don't jerk it. Just drive slowly and have someone providing feedback on what's happening and tell you when to stop.

Works great just make sure no one get's between the tow vehicle and the car you are loading.

SAFETY:

I like a tow strap but you can use chain. Less flying debris if something should break.

Stop many times while loading and check everything:

Make sure car being loaded is hitting the trailer straight and tires are centered on each ramp

Make sure vehicle being loaded is in neutral and parking brake is off - can be forgotten with other preparations :)

Make sure key is in 'run' position on vehicle being loaded so steering is unlocked

Stop and make sure nothing is binding or being crushed with the tow strap or chain -

Repeated for emphasis - Stop many times while loading and check everything

LISTEN TO THE PERSON DOING THE OBSERVING AND STOP IF THEY SAY STOP !!! They are the boss .. everyone listens

Don't let the observer get between the vehicles when under tension

Raise the hood on the vehicle being loaded to protect the person steering in case the tow strap or chain breaks

Put the loaded vehicle in park while you put tie down chains or straps on.

Release brake and tensions tie downs then put it back in park with parking brake

I let air pressure out of tires to ~ 20 PSI on the loaded vehicle then cinch it down and then when secured air them back up to normal. Then it's really tight

That all may look like a lot of work because it's so much typing but it takes about 5 minutes to do

Do this on level ground as possible.

3 people is optimum but can be done by yourself just takes a little longer.

Jack the trailer somewhat level.

Chock the wheels on the trailer .. I use a cinder block between the tires (dual axle) on my trailer.

I put a block of wood under the rear edge of the trailer too keep it from bottoming out when the car starts to pull onto the trailer.

Now the trailer is immobilized can't go forward or back and can't cantilever.

Next run a tow strap from the car you need to load (I wrap around K frame and try not get get any trans lines involved).

The tow vehicle is in front of the trailer and the vehicle to be loaded is behind trailer

Run the tow strap through the front of the trailer to the tow vehicle (the trailer is disconnected from tow vehicle and chalked).

Have someone sit in the car and steer.

Take it slow and pull the tow vehicle slowly forward .. don't jerk it. Just drive slowly and have someone providing feedback on what's happening and tell you when to stop.

Works great just make sure no one get's between the tow vehicle and the car you are loading.

SAFETY:

I like a tow strap but you can use chain. Less flying debris if something should break.

Stop many times while loading and check everything:

Make sure car being loaded is hitting the trailer straight and tires are centered on each ramp

Make sure vehicle being loaded is in neutral and parking brake is off - can be forgotten with other preparations :)

Make sure key is in 'run' position on vehicle being loaded so steering is unlocked

Stop and make sure nothing is binding or being crushed with the tow strap or chain -

Repeated for emphasis - Stop many times while loading and check everything

LISTEN TO THE PERSON DOING THE OBSERVING AND STOP IF THEY SAY STOP !!! They are the boss .. everyone listens

Don't let the observer get between the vehicles when under tension

Raise the hood on the vehicle being loaded to protect the person steering in case the tow strap or chain breaks

Put the loaded vehicle in park while you put tie down chains or straps on.

Release brake and tensions tie downs then put it back in park with parking brake

I let air pressure out of tires to ~ 20 PSI on the loaded vehicle then cinch it down and then when secured air them back up to normal. Then it's really tight

That all may look like a lot of work because it's so much typing but it takes about 5 minutes to do

Great tutorial on trailer loading ! This Newport Royal (I believe this is the proper designation) looks like a gem in not at all rough condition. A few extra bucks at the DIY carwash is going to make a BIG difference.

I need to check the data book, but I believe the Royal was an upfit package on the Newport.

Thanks McCabe. Most is general trailer loading stuff like the safety part but felt I should include it for others not necessarily swilling.

It's a proven method for me and I've never had a hitch doing it and it's save a lot of time but I'm slow and steady with everything heavy and or mechanical that can hurt me or others or my rides :)

addendum I wrote K frame above but C bodies or later ones anyway don't have K frames as far as I know so wrap the tow strap or chain around the snub frame.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Little teaser. Car is loaded and left dallas this morning. Not too many pictures but lots of video to come. Try to update tonight from the hotel. Getting on the trailer was harder than expected. Three completely blown out tires!
cheers,
Sam

One thing's for sure: The rental Trailer is safe in rear end collision. Take care. ;)

Thanks! Yes this thing is a tight fit! If the front tires weren't flat I don't know how I'd have got it to fit. Then there's that other 6 feet of trunk hanging over! You are right that the trailer is safe in a rear end. That's a half a cars worth of overhang! Thanks for the wishes, 600 miles to go. Just stopped for gas in Barstow. Almost there!
Cheers Sam

Hey Guys, sorry for the Delay, but this forum stuff seems to take longer for me than actually building cars.

So on Tuesday 22nd August my girlfriend, K-bear, and myself set off for Texas. Pick up a uhual trailer in Dallas and head back home. Roughly a 3800 mile round trip. But this car, had just been sitting in my friends dad's shop ever since i retrieved it. Not a day went by when i didn't think about this car. Its just amazing. Yet i hardly ever had a chance to really look at it, since anytime spent near it, i was in a jam to hurry and get it loaded or moved.

We set off at 4am and returned that Sunday evening with a lot of miles on my new (to me) truck and laughs all around.

A quick refresher as this was the first time i laid eyes on the car, and really didnt know what it was.
14768718445_73c98a7072_b.jpg

Me and the 2 companions hit the road and hauled some serious mail, we landed in Texas 2 days (1800 miles) after leaving.
14578291237_b79084ce39_b.jpg

I remember the dashboard readout stating it was 110 outside
14764757165_2f2946e1e4_b.jpg

None of this seemed to bother my best bud, air conditioning and a couple of treats , and he was out. for the entire trip.
14784624603_55d035dafb_b.jpg

Being out of Dallas for almost a year the one thing i didn't realize i missed was the amazing Thunder Storms. We had one roll in just as we were hitting the city Wed night. Made me really miss living there
14764764095_a63232dd66_b.jpg

We picked up the car on Thursday morning. I planned for everything relative to 4 flat tires. However i didn't consider that three of the four flat tires were blown out/dry rotted. So my whole theory of using a come along onto a uhual trailer wasnt happening. I tried. But failed miserably. So called in a flat bed and had them dump it onto the trailer. Worked out so i just used the come along to pull it off the flatbed onto the trailer and we were good to go.

14761596371_915c5460d7_b.jpg

14764765535_a35acc9203_b.jpg

14578136428_7c06a9f9fb_b.jpg

Back