New member intro : '57 Desoto Firesweep

The brake lines came in a day late so I got busy bending them using the old ones as patterns. The brake assemblies and drums are all mounted and pre-adjusted. Tomorrow I'll install the new brake lines and bleed the system. Also, FEDEX delivered a NOS '57 Desoto muffler which will be going on in the not too distant future.

RF Brake and Line.jpgRR Brake and Line.jpgNOS Muffler.jpg

RF Brake and Line.jpg

RR Brake and Line.jpg

NOS Muffler.jpg

That's it.........now you guys have ruined me (not that it was going to take much). Hell or high water, my next car is a 57-60 Chrysler or Desoto. That also reminds me that I forgot to stop and get my mega millions losing ticket for tonight's drawing.

The brake lines came in a day late so I got busy bending them using the old ones as patterns. The brake assemblies and drums are all mounted and pre-adjusted. Tomorrow I'll install the new brake lines and bleed the system. Also, FEDEX delivered a NOS '57 Desoto muffler which will be going on in the not too distant future.

View attachment 26857View attachment 26858View attachment 26859

How old is that stool? Did that come with the DeSoto?

mdh157;150372That also reminds me that I forgot to stop and get my mega millions losing ticket for tonight's drawing.[/QUOTE said:
:laughing4:.................. excellent

I think the stool came into our household about 50 years ago. So it is a little younger than the '57.

Everyone on the you suck list has an amazing car.... made enormous strides in progress OR both...
I think Will was the first one on it

I'm pretty sure there were others on the list ahead of me ....... But i'm no less proud to be included.

Finished installing the new brake lines and bled the system. All is good so-far. Good solid pedal and the brakes engage and release properly. After a few more under the car chores, I'll take if off the jack stands and go for a "first time" test drive.

Had a set back today. My new fuel sending unit arrived and I decided to check it out before pulling the old one out. The new unit has a broken wire on it that can be fixed but the resistance value for FULL was off. It should be 200 ohms and it reads 130. So I have to send it back and get a replacement. I was hoping to get that issue fixed, but that is the way it goes some days.

My new fuel sending unit arrived The new unit has a broken wire on it that can be fixed but the resistance value for FULL was off. It should be 200 ohms and it reads 130. QUOTE]
That seems to be a common issue with reproduction fuel sender units. I've had to return three of them, one twice, before receiving one that worked correctly. Different vendors too.

That kind of setback is frustrating, so close to completion of an area and now you have to wait for the mail.

My new fuel sending unit arrived The new unit has a broken wire on it that can be fixed but the resistance value for FULL was off. It should be 200 ohms and it reads 130. QUOTE]
That seems to be a common issue with reproduction fuel sender units. I've had to return three of them, one twice, before receiving one that worked correctly. Different vendors too.

By the second one, shouldn't you have known to hit it with a multimeter?

While waiting for the replacement fuel sender, I decided to put the wheels back on and take the car out for its maiden voyage. The engine and transmission seem to be working well. I need to do some more work on the brakes though. Seems like the shoes are not centered in the drums and the brakes pulsate a bit. It got better after driving a bit, but still needs work..

Back