New Member intro and car history

Joe66Fury

Reaction score
Hello All,

New member here so I thought I would introduce myself, explain how I came to the forum and give a bit of History on my 1966 Fury 2.

I live in SC and have owned my car for about 10 years now. Driven daily for a few of those years and basically a never-ending project. Tried to sell a few times, but not much interest in a beat up 4 door. That brings me to how I found the forum.

Late last night I was searching for something random for my car as I am doing a bunch of interior work and found a picture from my cars interior on Google... It lead me here and to this thread:

For Sale - 1966 Plymouth Fury 2 318 Automatic

I read the posting and found it was basically people just complaining about the horrible work I had done to the car and how it didnt meet their standards. So I thought I would take a few minutes and explain how I got the car, its condition and why I have done what I did. Maybe some will find it interesting, maybe not.

So Basically I found the car on Ebay 10 years ago about 2 hours from home. For the tiny sum of $575.00 I bought it. It had sat in a guys yard for many years but bode was pretty solid and while pretty beat, was mostly all there.
70_3.jpg

Same Day I got it home, I got it running and yard driving. Having a family, Extra cash for a toy isnt easy to get. so I worked on some very low dollar stuff. Ripped out the crumbling carpet and the door panels which were paper thin and crumbled as you touched them.
5a_3.jpg

Painted the floor with Rustoleum and then moved to the body. I removed the Side trim, hood ornament, trunk ornament and shaved the rear door handles. I then painted the car. YES I used Rustoleum Satin Black but it was NOT rolled- I sprayed 7 coats with a spray gun after the car was sanded to basically bare metal. Paint has held up well over the years, but faded bad so the car is now a dark grey as opposed to Black.
downsized_0427090933.jpg

I was happy with the way it looked. I put some Cragar rims (got with good tired for $250) I wrapped the rotten seat with old blankets and began driving it regularly.

Story continued in next response.

dont sweat anything here man - welcome to the site.

some of us are restorers.

some of us are drivers.

some of us are grumpy old men with hats.

try not to die -

- saylor

Part 2:

So this brings me to the interior. I wanted a stereo system in the car but didnt want to cut into the doors and didnt want to lose the kick panel vents in a car with no A/C. Door panels seem to be hard to find and when I can find them, they are as much as I paid for the car. I decided to make new door panels. Since the cardboard of the old ones were trashed, I salvaged the metal upper panels and added new fiberboard. I added speaker pods to the bottom of the door panels by Making a MDF ring, staging it how I wanted them angled, covering with fleece, fiberglassing and then finishing with some Bondo. A common Car audio Process. The ultimate plan was to then cover with new vinyl- something I STILL havent done. I have power window regulators but havent installed them yet so I put the window cranks back on and drove it... Waiting to finish later.
door.jpg

After a few years I bought a truck and the Fury got parked. When it did, I pulled out the rotted benches and replaced with some power seats from a Concord. Got the seats on a half off day at the local U-Pull-It yard and with some minor brackets they went into the car and I am happy with their look.
IMG_20150920_174611_721.jpg

After the car sat for a bit longer, I decided to post it to Craigslist. Car didnt sell and its still sitting at my place.

Last part of history in next comment.

Final History.

That brings us to now. I have been slowly restoring the dash as I am able. Most of the dash is redone and I have new carpet to install (not done yet). New steering wheel looks really good.
14184357_10207266750331475_1154364403012308565_n.jpg

The original Poly 318 runs fine, trans leaks like crazy. I picked up a 1991 Dodge Dakota and robbed the Fuel Injected 318 and overdrive trans for adding to the car later. Ya know, cuz I have finished so much of my projects lol.

Anyhow. I wanted to post some history on the car just because. The future of the car is uncertain right now because I work alot and have a bunch of other projects so it might wind up back on craigslist again, but we will see. Right now I am trying to finish the interior and touch up some other nagging projects on it in my spare time.

Welcome to the forum! I remember those door panels, now with the explanation that's very ingenious. I like the look of the dash.

Hey! You are amongst friends here all with a common interest! I am glad you posted here and would be saddened if you gave up on the old girl. You do have skills and I personally would love to see you see it through,,,,,,,with pics of course.!!!
Welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the site from the Motor City! I like it.

Welcome aboard from :canada:. Looks like you've got a fine solid car. You have preserved another one and for that you should be complimented. People here including me routinely offer unsolicited opinions so you need to have a thick skin. Look forward to your updates. :thumbsup:

Welcome to the site, you need to do the engine swap it would be a great driver plus I want to know how well the trans fits the tunnel.

Hello from Minnesota. Nice story, keep the car and have fun with it!

Thanks everyone for the kind words! I thought the door panels were the biggest confusion point so glad the explanation helped- I can imagine some thought I slapped a big pile of bondo on the door panel and stuck a speaker in it. :rofl:

To the MI members- I grew up in the New Baltimore/ Marine City area. I miss the motor city and the great car scene there!!!

Welcome to the site, you need to do the engine swap it would be a great driver plus I want to know how well the trans fits the tunnel.

Me too! This is the biggest concern for me. I know some say the tunnel will need to be cut. We will see. I think the car would be MUCH more enjoyable as a daily with overdrive and not having to adjust the solid lifters every few months.

One thing I want to try first- I took the full A/C system from the Dakota. I have a spare A/C airbox from a 66 fury in the trunk and I am hoping to modify the evaporator from the Dakota to fit the fury box. If I can, I can then use the whole Dakota A/C system in the fury.

Welcome aboard.
Please explain

and you will have thoroughly redeemed yourself. :p

:lol: Fair Enough. As we know its very hard to find Chrysler CONTOUR seats. Yes CONCORDE is what I meant. they are full power front buckets and a nice back seat. Back seat is a bit tall, but the back window is HUGE so it doesnt cause any visibility probs. it was pretty easy to fit them to the car, and the biggest issue is I need to make the quarter panel inner interior panels a bit thicker to fill a slightly larger gap on each side.

Glad I'm not the only one here that his project gets interrupted by life. Nice project, good progress so far, hope you find a little more time to spend on her!

Back