New to this forum

icywolf

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am obviously new to your group. I'm TJ and have never joined a forum like yours and want to thank the moderator for adding me.
I am working on my uncles 67 Fury 111. I haven't really had any problems till now. It has factory rr drum and front disc brakes. We have replaced everything except booster and master cylinder, the brakes seem to function very good except there is only about 2 inches of available travel to the floor. It seems like it needs a booster with a longer pedal push rod. Has anyone else experienced this kind ofsituation? Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome!

Yes, photo of the booster.
Although, power brakes don't have a lot of pedal travel, I would put it at 2" by guesstimate.

Hello everyone, I am obviously new to your group. I'm TJ and have never joined a forum like yours and want to thank the moderator for adding me.
I am working on my uncles 67 Fury 111. I haven't really had any problems till now. It has factory rr drum and front disc brakes. We have replaced everything except booster and master cylinder, the brakes seem to function very good except there is only about 2 inches of available travel to the floor. It seems like it needs a booster with a longer pedal push rod. Has anyone else experienced this kind ofsituation? Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
First thing to do is do a little testing... Since you have power brakes, this will tell you if there's a problem like a leak or air in the brake lines.

First check the fluid level. If it's down, you may have a leak.

With the engine off, put your foot on the brake pedal and press. Lather, rinse, repeat a couple times. Now take your foot completely off the brakes for, let's say, 15 seconds. Now press the pedal again. It should be rock hard. If it's not, there's an issue like a leak or air.

Now hold your foot on the pedal and try to feel if the pedal is sinking. If it does, your master cylinder is starting to fail or you have a leak.

Hold the pedal and start the car. It should be a lot easier to push almost immediately. Again, try holding your foot on the brake and feel if the pedal is sinking and again, that would be a sign the master cylinder is failing or you have a leak.

Now, pump the pedal 3 or 4 times and see if it gets harder. If it does, there's air in the brake lines.

Back