Julesva5

Reaction score
Hi all - this is my second C Body. I had a nice 68 Chrysler 300 four door. But it's my first Convertible. I'm happy to have found this forum as I'm sure there's a ton of help here. My 68 Fury III Convertible is in fairly good shape - I will probably do a few things like convert the 2 BBL to 4 BBL. Previous owner did a lot to clean up underside and rebuild engine, etc.

Mark

IMG_4173.JPG

IMG_4176.JPG

IMG_4203.JPG

IMG_4214.JPG

IMG_4245.JPG

IMG_4246.JPG

Welcome to the forum! Nice car

Welcome to the site from the Motor City!

Hi all - this is my second C Body. I had a nice 68 Chrysler 300 four door. But it's my first Convertible. I'm happy to have found this forum as I'm sure there's a ton of help here. My 68 Fury III Convertible is in fairly good shape - I will probably do a few things like convert the 2 BBL to 4 BBL. Previous owner did a lot to clean up underside and rebuild engine, etc.

Mark

Very pretty car! I love the baby blue color. Welcome to the collective.

Welcome, nice looking car. I wouldn't rush to change it to a 4bbl. Enjoy it some and see if you really need the 4bbl.
Welcome.

I have to agree with the above statement. I love 4bbls too, and I would want one on a 318. But, unless you get a manifold that is of the same port diameter of your heads, you will not get a good result. Most LA 4bbl intakes are designed for 340/360 use and their ports are larger. Such an intake on a 318 can cause problems; it did for a buddy of mine on his 318 '68 Charger.

Welcome.

I have to agree with the above statement. I love 4bbls too, and I would want one on a 318. But, unless you get a manifold that is of the same port diameter of your heads, you will not get a good result. Most LA 4bbl intakes are designed for 340/360 use and their ports are larger. Such an intake on a 318 can cause problems; it did for a buddy of mine on his 318 '68 Charger.
Thanks - yes I was figuring I would have to swap out the intake, too. If anyone has done this to a 318 I'd love to know more about it.

Good advice here. Enjoy the car and get to know it well first and go from there. You may not need/want it.

Welcome!
Beautiful Fury you have there. :)

Personally, I would not upgrade to a 4bbl as this is a classic cruiser unless you plan to do burn outs and strip racing with it.

This will be decent of fuel economy and if you start messing with it you could end up with a whole world of fuel related issues and end up wishing you hadn't touched it.

Having owned a previous C body I'm sure you know all about the great electrical systems we have been blessed with.
If you are looking for things to do, I would recommend that you check & clean all electrical connections in the car as Mopar is known for having electrical challenges especially with the amp gauge and firewall block.

Here is a link to how to improve the charging circuit. Mopar Charging System - MyMopar.com (Don't install a too high amp output alternator if you need a new one in the future. (The electrical circuit can't handle it.)
Replace the voltage regulator for the gauges with an electronic one. This will stabilize the gauge package if the needles happen to pulse while running.

The headlight switch is another area that should be looked at.
Another great electrical upgrade to do is to install relays for the headlight system and by-pass the loads on the headlight switch and dimmer switch.
Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

There are kits you can install or if you are good with electrical wiring can make your own.

Here is a few links to the Mopar manuals and parts books as well.
MyMopar - Mopar Forums & Information - Parts & Accessories Books
MyMopar - Mopar Forums & Information - Service Manuals

Anyway's hope you have a great time with this convertible, as we all see it is a great ride you have there.

Welcome!
Beautiful Fury you have there. :)

Personally, I would not upgrade to a 4bbl as this is a classic cruiser unless you plan to do burn outs and strip racing with it.

This will be decent of fuel economy and if you start messing with it you could end up with a whole world of fuel related issues and end up wishing you hadn't touched it.

Having owned a previous C body I'm sure you know all about the great electrical systems we have been blessed with.
If you are looking for things to do, I would recommend that you check & clean all electrical connections in the car as Mopar is known for having electrical challenges especially with the amp gauge and firewall block.

Here is a link to how to improve the charging circuit. Mopar Charging System - MyMopar.com (Don't install a too high amp output alternator if you need a new one in the future. (The electrical circuit can't handle it.)
Replace the voltage regulator for the gauges with an electronic one. This will stabilize the gauge package if the needles happen to pulse while running.

The headlight switch is another area that should be looked at.
Another great electrical upgrade to do is to install relays for the headlight system and by-pass the loads on the headlight switch and dimmer switch.
Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

There are kits you can install or if you are good with electrical wiring can make your own.

Here is a few links to the Mopar manuals and parts books as well.
MyMopar - Mopar Forums & Information - Parts & Accessories Books
MyMopar - Mopar Forums & Information - Service Manuals

Anyway's hope you have a great time with this convertible, as we all see it is a great ride you have there.

Thank you! Great ideas here and I will definitely take a look at these. The previous owner did pull the engine and rebuild it - I will need to tune the Carb if I don't go 4bbl as it has this dead spot when it's cold that basically stalls the car if I don't ease the throttle very carefully. It was fitted with an electronic choke so I think that's part of the problem. Once it's warmed up it's better. Anyway, I have heard about the electrical issues before (had a 68 Chrysler 300) and always wondered how to keep the gauges from pulsing like that. Appreciate the help here!

Check the accelerator pump and circuit.
I just rebuilt mine because of the same issue.

Looks like I'm going to replace the 2bbl carb for a 318 engine and keep it as 2bbl. Any recommendations on where to buy/what kind? Rock Auto?

Back