Nose Art

USED VIN (171).jpg

Original nine-O-nine aircraft was destroyed during nuclear effects testing. However, another aircraft named Nine-O-Nine (that was operated and owned by the Collings Foundation) crashed and killed 17, I believe.

2019 Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress crash - Wikipedia
i remember reading about this.

tangent.

i love old iron of any type that is still running ... BUT, as cool as old aircraft are, they are a bit "spukhaft" to me.

an engine/critical part failure in flight, of 50-100 year-old prop/jet engines, might not end well. for a lot of people, including bystanders. :(

i tend to drool over planes in museums/static displays for that reason. :)

I like how the refueling guy in the picture is smoking.
What's the worst that could happen.......
Don't you watch Mythbusters? They said a cigarette doesn't not contain enough BTUs to ignite gasoline. The liquid in gasoline will distinguish the flame first.

I don't watch the show but that's what I've read they declared.

i remember reading about this.

tangent.

i love old iron of any type that is still running ... BUT, as cool as old aircraft are, they are a bit "spukhaft" to me.

an engine/critical part failure in flight, of 50-100 year-old prop/jet engines, might not end well. for a lot of people, including bystanders. :(

i tend to drool over planes in museums/static displays for that reason. :)

I am a lifetime member of the Commemorative Air Force (used to be Confederate Air Force), and support our local wing - The Joe Foss Squadron CAF Joe Foss Squadron
There are a LOT of active old aircraft flying around our country and the world.
I think the most impressive flight of recent times was the flight of the C-47, That’s All Brother to commemorate the D-Day landing.

Home
I have had the pleasure of buying a ride in a few: the L-5B Sentinel that is operated by our CAF squadron, a UH-1, B-17 (Sentimental Journey - B-17 Sentimental Journey ) and one of the two B-29s that are still flying, Fifi ( B-29 FIFI ) who all were here at the Sioux Falls air show.
I also saw several WWII veterans get a ride in a B-25 at a D-Day rememberance event at the Fagan Fighters Museum in Granite Falls, MN (Fagen Fighters WWII Museum)

What a fabulous way to demonstrate what we did in incredible times for the sake of freedom!

I am a lifetime member of the Commemorative Air Force (used to be Confederate Air Force), and support our local wing - The Joe Foss Squadron CAF Joe Foss Squadron
There are a LOT of active old aircraft flying around our country and the world.
I think the most impressive flight of recent times was the flight of the C-47, That’s All Brother to commemorate the D-Day landing.

Home
I have had the pleasure of buying a ride in a few: the L-5B Sentinel that is operated by our CAF squadron, a UH-1, B-17 (Sentimental Journey - B-17 Sentimental Journey ) and one of the two B-29s that are still flying, Fifi ( B-29 FIFI ) who all were here at the Sioux Falls air show.
I also saw several WWII veterans get a ride in a B-25 at a D-Day rememberance event at the Fagan Fighters Museum in Granite Falls, MN (Fagen Fighters WWII Museum)

What a fabulous way to demonstrate what we did in incredible times for the sake of freedom!
I love air shows. been to many. love this old iron too.

my comment wasn't intended to diminish the world-changing accomplishment of everybody --- from engineers designin' them, to workers at factories buildin' them, to service people flyin' and fixn' them.

the "arsenal of freedom" aint just catchy -- its a fact.

Without all that stuff, hate to think what things would be like on this rock.

:thumbsup:

I love air shows. been to many. love this old iron too.

my comment wasn't intended to diminish the world-changing accomplishment of everybody --- from engineers designin' them, to workers at factories buildin' them, to service people flyin' and fixn' them.

the "arsenal of freedom" aint just catchy -- its a fact.

Without all that stuff, hate to think what things would be like on this rock.

:thumbsup:
Absolutely agree with you. The benefits that have come from the aviation industry as well as technology development are unbelievable.

My great aunt was born before aviation really was developed, and lived to see a man walk on the moon. She was older than Chevrolet and lived to a long, joyful age of 102, with a hip replacement at 101!

Back