Old Color codes

Dirk

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the 73 Chrysler color code JY3 (Honey Gold) is identical to Y3?
I can't find Jy3 for sale anywhere in Europe.
Thanks.

I believe the "J" is a model year designator, with "Y3" being the color designator? With "Y" meaning the basic color and "3" being the intensity of that color (low = lighter, higher = darker). If it is metallic in nature, the word "poly" will appear in the paint company designation.

www.tcpglobal.com and "Library" at www.hamtramck-historical.com can have chip charts, Chrysler Color and Trim Guides, and Chrysler Dealer Data Books which can have color-related information for particular model years.

CBODY67

I believe the "J" is a model year designator, with "Y3" being the color designator? With "Y" meaning the basic color and "3" being the intensity of that color (low = lighter, higher = darker). If it is metallic in nature, the word "poly" will appear in the paint company designation.

www.tcpglobal.com and "Library" at www.hamtramck-historical.com can have chip charts, Chrysler Color and Trim Guides, and Chrysler Dealer Data Books which can have color-related information for particular model years.

CBODY67
Thx

Yes, so the first letter is very important to get the right color for the year.

DY3 is a pale cream
GY3 is curious yellow, a bright yellow/green
JY3 honey gold

So if you buy Y3 which one will you get?

And there in EB5 and GB5, different mixes of blue. Different colors

The paint store folks don't think the first letter means anything.

So tell them to look it up in the 1973 book.

They also look at you funny when you ask for TT1, first of all TT1 is NOT a paint code, I wish people would stop calling 68 and older paint codes like that. The Paint Code is T, Body is T Top is T and the 1 is the option code for mono tone paint if it was a Two Tone car it might be TH2 Medium Copper/Dark Copper/Two Tone (1967)

Edit:
291 is the option code for mono tone paint
292 is the option code for two tone paint

27* is the option code for the roof
28* is the option code for the body

Roof/Body/Style

Alan

Last edited:
Back