Old school gas war on NY reservation

Joseph James

Reaction score
Gasoline prices in Salamanca dropped to less than 75 cents per gallon Thursday as the effects of the global coronavirus pandemic on the oil industry hit the Seneca Nation.

After a couple weeks of holding steady around $1.70/g at Native-owned gas stations, prices dropped south of $1 Thursday morning, as reported by Kellen Quigley, managing editor of The Salamanca Press.

With seven gas stations in Salamanca’s west end within half a mile of each other, a price war was underway with one business after another dropping its price to be lowest in the city.
State & Union: Price war drops gas below 75 cents per gallon in Salamanca

Gov **** will probably start screaming that all this cheap gas will accelerate climate change and that we need increased fuel taxes to "stabilize" the situation.

Dave

Gov **** will probably start screaming that all this cheap gas will accelerate climate change and that we need increased fuel taxes to "stabilize" the situation.

Dave
Screw em all. I bet a lot more old cars are rolling now. I see a lot of pics of C bodies out for Spring on Facebook.

Dave
He can't say too much because the first one to drop was on the Seneca Nation.

No taxes. No taxes on Seneca cigarettes either.
Will gas prices cause an influx of outsiders possibly carrying Coronavirus?
Adding a photo I found on FB and didn’t know where to post it.

516989BE-3C52-4488-AF45-196942BB5379.jpeg

But i would bet that their prices, in a normal situation, are not lower by the amount of the taxes. I'm pretty sure that they pocket at least 1/2 the amount of the taxes.
You are correct on the gas, but prices on Seneca cigarettes (made on the res in Canada) beats the pants off all the others.

I see a road trip to upstate NY in my future...……
Not upstate, Southern Tier. I worked in Jamestown, Home of Lucile Ball, for about 5 years and we had a plant in Salamanca. Been there several times, only about 10 or 15 miles from the Pennsylvania line.

No taxes. No taxes on Seneca cigarettes either.
It used to be that you could only transport 2 cartons of cigs out of the nation though. I don't know about gas and it was in the mid 90's the last time I was there except to drive through on the Southern Tier Expressway. Now I-86, used to be 17.

Not upstate, Southern Tier. I worked in Jamestown, Home of Lucile Ball, for about 5 years and we had a plant in Salamanca. Been there several times, only about 10 or 15 miles from the Pennsylvania line.
Lake Chatauqua, my family and I enjoyed summer vacations there for a few years. Beautiful country there and some wonderful memories.

I had to look up where Salamanca was. :lol:
North of Bradford Pa on US rt 219. I would load almost every day at a saw mill in Alegheny NY.. Sent a lot of NY and PA hardwoods to South Africa, Thailand, and Viet Nam

Last edited:
Back