Outside tail lights not working

Jeffthro87

Reaction score
On both sides the two inside tail lights work, but the outside ones do not. Also, are they just running lights or brake lights? Are they powered through the turn signal switch?

Thanks for the help

View attachment 682533

20240824_163831.jpg

The outer tail lights are that plus brake & turn signal lights assuming that your car is a 1968 Fury per your avatar photo.

It is a 68 fury, the turn signals blink on the inner two lights and stay on when I turn on the headlights. I did finally download the service manual and according to the wiring diagram, the end lights are back up lights?

The outer lights are your tail lights/turn signals/brake lights. The inner lights are your backup lights.

I would bet the bulb sockets are swapped between the two. If you open the trunk and look at the lights, there should be 2 wires going to the outside bulb sockets and 1 wire to the backup lights.

Looks like this with the longer housing being your tail lights and the shorter being your backup lights.

1726666010177.png

The outer lights are your tail lights/turn signals/brake lights. The inner lights are your backup lights.

I would bet the bulb sockets are swapped between the two. If you open the trunk and look at the lights, there should be 2 wires going to the outside bulb sockets and 1 wire to the backup lights.

Looks like this with the longer housing being your tail lights and the shorter being your backup

Looks like this with the longer housing being your tail lights and the shorter being your backup lights.

View attachment 682553
Thanks for the photo and yeah, the previous owner must of switch the wires. Because the one with the one wire is on the outside tail light.

Back