Photos of Vintage Auto Dealerships, Repair Shops, and Gas Stations

1720031397341.png

Chaplin Cadillac-Oldsmobile, Falmouth ME, 1968

I did some searching and couldn't find anything on this dealership. It would be interesting if the building was still standing and being used.

1720127292637.png

1942. Rolls Royce factory workers lowering the crank into a Merlin airplane engine. I'm kind of intrigued by the connecting rods already assembled onto the crank.

1720135066075.png

I did some searching and couldn't find anything on this dealership. It would be interesting if the building was still standing and being used.

View attachment 669606
i found this add if you can make it large to get an address

1720150581697.png

View attachment 669606

really unique structure, but I cant find it. be interesting to see, like you said, if it survived.

At one time, they are listed to have also sold Rolls-Royce and Fiat brands. This info was in obituaries of people who workied there.

Also, sugggests it might have been located on "US-1" in Falmouth, but NO exact address of where it was/is.

"Flew up/down that road for 4-5 miles. Looked at existing dealership on the road. No luck. It was worth stab and could have been WAY wrong too.

Last date the dealership is mentioned that I found is 1980.

Last edited:
i found this add if you can make it large to get an address

View attachment 669700
[/URL]
Not quite enough resolution to see the address.

really unique structure, but I cant find it. be interesting to see, like you said, if it survived.

At one time, they are listed to have also sold Rolls-Royce and Fiat brands. This info was in obituaries of people who workied there.

Also, sugggests it might have been located on "US-1" in Falmouth, but NO exact address of where it was/is. "Flew up/down that road for 4-5 miles. Looked at existing dealership on the road. No luck. It was worth stab and could have been WAY wrong too.

Last date the dealership is mentioned that I found is 1980.

We gotta turn @MrMoparCHP loose on it If its standing, and he's got time, he'll find it. can't stump that cat :poke:

I came up with a possible location of Forest Ave and Baxter Blvd. That was in an obscure FB post that Google picked up. That address is actually Portland, Maine. Falmouth and Portland are adjacent so that could be quite possible. Forest Ave is (was?) known as their "automobile row" where a lot of dealers were located, so it's possible.

There's nothing at that location that could have been that building and only one more modern looking building that could have replaced the dealership. I'm really not convinced that is the right location though.

It's unusual to see that type of architecture in the northeast. Snow loading on the roof for one thing. I could see this type of structure deteriorating in a couple decades.

I did find this dealership near that location. The pic was taken in 1950, probably ~18 years before the other pic and it's not a Cadillac/Olds dealer.

1720182287513.png

And an overhead shot of the location in 1960.

1720182474459.png

Last edited:
I like the Chaplin Motor Co. Building, so I started looking -- before realizing that everyone was also looking.

What I did find, which rules out some of the above choices, is a video of the dealership in what seems to be 1970. I cannot embed it, but it is available here:

Collection – Northeast Historic Film : Intellectual Content : [Chaplin Cadillac Ad] [0729.0015]

Definitely the same building.
View attachment 669759
That looks to be a large dealership so you would think there would be more info on the internet.

That looks to be a large dealership so you would think there would be more info on the internet.
Yep. And the service center of what we are looking for, was/is in Portland, Maine.
1720184452839.png

The company owned a dealership (as of 1957, info compliments of the Scarborough Historical Society) at the address found by @Big_John:

http://scarboroughhistoricalsociety...08/The-Four-Corners-1957-Yearbook-OCI-DIS.pdf

Compliments of
CHAPLIN MOTOR CO.
37 Forest Avenue
CADILLAC
Portland, Maine
OLDSMOBILE

However, looking at Google Maps, the buildings left around that address seem too old to be compatible with the video above.

Last edited:
Back