Photos of Vintage Auto Dealerships, Repair Shops, and Gas Stations

I found another reference to the dealership on FB with the same pic saying the building was torn down.

I found another reference to the dealership on FB with the same pic saying the building was torn down.
Are the FB folks specifically referring to the building, or to whatever building was at 37 Forest Ave -- because I don't think the building we are discussing is located there.

Gotta get back to my work, look forward to what you guys find.

really unique structure, but I cant find it. be interesting to see, like you said, if it survived.

At one time, they are listed to have also sold Rolls-Royce and Fiat brands. This info was in obituaries of people who workied there.

Also, sugggests it might have been located on "US-1" in Falmouth, but NO exact address of where it was/is.

"Flew up/down that road for 4-5 miles. Looked at existing dealership on the road. No luck. It was worth stab and could have been WAY wrong too.

Last date the dealership is mentioned that I found is 1980.
Looks like it was there in 1998, gone in 2002

Falmouth1998.jpg

Falmouth 2002.jpg

Falmouth 2023.jpg

Alan

yeah, doesnt look like it was ever at 37 Forest in Portland. though there is space where things were and now gone, the remaining structures are way too old.

Looking both ways on Forest Ave.
1720206129234.png

1720206107208.png

this Chaplin dealership, even IF it fit physically (doubt it per the video), woulda been a "white elephant" (no pun intended) architecturally from its inception in a downtown area.

Last edited:
yeah, doesnt look like it was ever at 37 Forest in Portland. though there is space where things were and now gone, the remaining structures are way too old.

this Chaplin building, even IF it fit physically (doubt it), woulda been a "white elephant" (no pun intended) architecturally from its inception.
240 US-1, Falmouth, ME 04105

Alan
Ok, so it sure looks like was on US-1 in Falmouth.
I cant (firewall) do historical searches at work ... still may not have found it.

the 37 forest address in Portland may have seen a sales office for it. @ayilar

240 US-1, Falmouth, ME 04105

Alan
That was an address that I found also in my searches too. I had even grabbed a screen shot, but I wasn't sure that was a good address. There was nothing else that looked right to verify it.

After your post, I'm going to say it was correct.

You see these types of store buildings all over New England.

Maine.jpg

That was an address that I found also in my searches too. I had even grabbed a screen shot, but I wasn't sure that was a good address. There was nothing else that looked right to verify it.

After your post, I'm going to say it was correct.

You see these types of store buildings all over New England.

View attachment 669778

Yeah, I stopped here, because if was a BIG location (big plot, with new buildings) on US-1, but saw NO other identifying iitems that confirmed the it was here (which I still could NOT find the exact address).

Again, couldn't do a historical search from work with the sources I know about.

In the 1970 aerial you can see the definition on the slopped wall better, compared to the main building.
View attachment 669786

Alan

how did you say Google gave 30-40 year old historical looks? i am only familiar with the "See other dates" feaature, but they dont go back before the first Gooogle cars were making "street views:.

e.g.,

1950's .png

e.

how did you say Google gave 30-40 year old historical looks? i am only familiar with the "See other dates" feaature, but they dont go back before the first Gooogle cars were making "street views:.

e.g.,

View attachment 669788
e.
The Street View in Google Maps only goes back to about 2007 and that is if they went through that area in the past.
With Google Earth you can scroll back on the aerials typically to about 1994, sometimes less, sometimes more.
Historic Aerials is my go-to place for the older aerials and topos, in California I have other options.

Alan

1942. Rolls Royce factory workers lowering the crank into a Merlin airplane engine. I'm kind of intrigued by the connecting rods already assembled onto the crank.

View attachment 669610
That is because the cylinders are not part of the block. One would probably drop the crankshaft with the rods like on the picture above, then install the pistons, and then install the cylinders. That's what the picture below suggests.

Merlin.jpg

That is because the cylinders are not part of the block. One would probably drop the crankshaft with the rods like on the picture above, then install the pistons, and then install the cylinders. That's what the picture below suggests.

View attachment 669801
That's what I figured. It makes some sense to assemble the rods like that, but it still struck me that if I were assembling that engine like that, it would take me a half dozen tries to get the rods into the correct holes.

Back