Police cars......

The TQ had some real problems with quality. The plastic body was not always flat and that caused all sorts of issues but that wasn't the only problem. Carter was in its death throws about that time. It closed in 1985

Learned very early on when dealing with TQ's to never remove them from a hot engine as the plastic (Phenolic thx J) body would warp and the carb was done then. Ask me why I have 4 sitting on a shelf ftom the 80's

Isn,t it unusual to have all the equipment
Still in the car? When younger I wanted to buy a Crown Vic retired police car but all police stuff was stripped.
All of the ex-police cars that I have seen auctioned in the late '70's, early '80's had all of their emergency lights and radio equipment removed, but that wasn't in Spencer, Tn.

I likr it, BUT would you use it?
It doesnt appear to me that this is something Will and Ellie would enjoy

Don't you have a '61 Fury to finish...

Your probably right Dave. Very limited use for us. Local shows and perhaps a road trip to a professional vehicle meet somewhere. Not a practical DD. It's just such a cool and unusual car. I could always clean it up nice, use it a little and flip it if I can buy it right. I hate seeing it sit like it is now.

The 61 Fury is not forgotten or just setting. I brought the tail light housings to Carlisle and left them with my favorite chrome platter. Parts are difficult to locate for these cars, (It took me three years to locate the four headlight trim rings in nice condition). I have been restoring or replacing with NOS just about everything that attachs to the car so that when It comes apart for body and paint the reassembly will go smoothly and quickly. The cost of the steering wheel restoration alone would make your knees buckle a little. I always chuckle a little when someone complains about how hard it is to find a C body item.

Will, if you decide to get that Diplomat check the frame rails under the front floor and under the firewall for rust. I had an '80 Lebaron wagon that my parents bought new and it spent most of it's life in Va., and was undercoated twice when new. The car had zero sheet metal rust, but you could stick your whole hand through the frame rails. This was about 15 years ago, and the car had well under 100k miles.

One of the reasons in addition to what was said above is that the TQ was too high a CFM rating for the 318, so it would not get off the line well. At least Chrysler could have used an intake manifold for the TQ when installed on the 318 with smaller runners, so the velocities of the air/fuel charge into the cylinders would have been significantly higher, creating more torque. A TQ on a 360 was a nice package though.

Don't you have a '61 Fury to finish...

Your probably right Dave. Very limited use for us. Local shows and perhaps a road trip to a professional vehicle meet somewhere. Not a practical DD. It's just such a cool and unusual car. I could always clean it up nice, use it a little and flip it if I can buy it right. I hate seeing it sit like it is now.

The 61 Fury is not forgotten or just setting. I brought the tail light housings to Carlisle and left them with my favorite chrome platter. Parts are difficult to locate for these cars, (It took me three years to locate the four headlight trim rings in nice condition). I have been restoring or replacing with NOS just about everything that attachs to the car so that when It comes apart for body and paint the reassembly will go smoothly and quickly. The cost of the steering wheel restoration alone would make your knees buckle a little. I always chuckle a little when someone complains about how hard it is to find a C body item.

I can only imagine the joy of finding that last ring... or almost anything for that 61... you definitely have me beat...

5K seems like a decent price as long as the car is solid. Pretty rare to have the original equipment, and yes that emblem will peel right off.

Stay focused Will, don't do it. I can't imagine the novelty would last long for that, it had worn off for me by the end of the thread...

Back