Polishing an intake manifold

MightyMats

Reaction score
I have under-taken what might be one of the worse ideas I have had in awhile. I have decided to polish the aluminum intake manifold I have had laying around. So far I am aprx 5 hours into the job. I will post my progress as I move along.

I may pick up some 440 source heads and polish them as well, but for right now this is the project.

I am struggling with the idea of grinding off all the logo's, numbers, and wording on the manifold. Not sure if they will stay right now, but there is plenty more work to do so I shall leave them be for now.

20221012_193444.jpg

20221012_193451.jpg

20221012_193508.jpg

20221012_193527.jpg

It's not like you're defacing a vintage Edelbrock intake, I say go for it, remove the stupid lettering.

Should be gorgeous polished.

Inside the intake manifold, you do not want to polish too much, because rough walls increase turbulence which makes for better mixing.

I've polished cast aluminum before, it becomes clear very quickly why polished stuff is so much more expensive.

I polished my vintage Edelbrock dual plane, but then sprayed it down w WD so I wouldn't have to worry about smudges, pre smudge yourself and leave the Mother's on the shelf.

man i have been slacking on this job. my professional life has been insane. but im getting closer. maybe ill have this finished in a few weeks.

20230106_192956.jpg

I have also went down that rabbit holes half a dozen times in my life.
It is much effort, that slips away quickly. Does look damn nice for a while though.
Polishing Harleys has also decimated a year or so accumulated time of my life. The last bike I had, got sick of it, took a bunch of parts and went to the powder coater.
Post a pic when you're done, happy polishing!!

chopper.jpg

Back