Power convertible top problems

Jimswiler

Reaction score
Just bought a 1968 Fury III convertible last week and actually scored a really nice car that was not being taken care of properly. Power top is not operational but prior owner says it was recently. Took the rear seat out and jumped power directly to motor and works like a charm. Just ordered a service manual tonight but wanted to see if you guys had some input. I obviously know where the switch is but is there a relay?fuse? Circuit breaker? Someone has done some shotty rewiring and under the dash is a mess. Any information on this topic would be helpful. Thanks in advance

Circuit breaker should be under the driver's side kick panel. Often toasted.

Dash switch is sometimes bad too, and can be peeled apart and cleaned up - usually just corroded inside.

Circuit breaker should be under the driver's side kick panel. Often toasted.

Dash switch is sometimes bad too, and can be peeled apart and cleaned up - usually just corroded inside.
Thanks for the information. Do you know the amp rating on a 1968? Is the breaker a auto resetting type or does it have a manual switch?

The breaker is an auto reset type, if it gets tripped 3-4 times in rapid succession, it usually will be fried. National Moparts has the dash switch, Pricey. www.nationalmoparts.com. The breaker behind the kick panel will usually be marked as to its rating.

Dave

Once you get the wiring sorted out, try to determine the type of fluid in the system. Many earlier ones used brake fluid. Later ones don't, using something more akin to hydraulic fluid or ATF. Seals need to be compatible with whatever fluid is in the system. Including the seals on the rams. The pump running is a good thing, but it's not the ONLY thing to be aware of. Some have converted the systems to use a more recent "convertible top oil" of sorts. Can be a good winter project?

Is the pump OEM or "replacement"? Just curious.

CBODY67

I don't have any words of wisdom for you, but I do want to welcome you to the board. I have a soft spot for 67 and 68 Furys so congratulations on your score.

Once you get the wiring sorted out, try to determine the type of fluid in the system. Many earlier ones used brake fluid. Later ones don't, using something more akin to hydraulic fluid or ATF. Seals need to be compatible with whatever fluid is in the system. Including the seals on the rams. The pump running is a good thing, but it's not the ONLY thing to be aware of. Some have converted the systems to use a more recent "convertible top oil" of sorts. Can be a good winter project?

Is the pump OEM or "replacement"? Just curious.

CBODY67
Haven’t had too much time to get into it but it doesn’t look like it’s leaking anywhere and Doesn’t look red so I assume brake fluid or a hydraulic oil of some sort

Also WELCOME! Congratulations on your new acquisition!

Just make sure you disconnect the battery before you go and touch that wiring mess under the dash!

It's not brake fluid, it's trans fluid. Look at your FSM and it will tell you it's trans fluid. Look in the "body" section. Don't use brake fluid...

Wiring diagrams etc. will also be in the FSM.

No FSM? Download one here: MyMopar - Mopar Forums & Information - MyMopar Tools/Reference
Thank you. Wouldn’t mess with that fluid until I saw solid information about type. FSM ordered last night and on the way. Thank you for that link much appreciated. Yes sir battery will be disconnected. Have done a lot of wiring repairs on my superbee so I know the drill.

Back