Power steering pumb brackets

Boyd

Reaction score
Have a 440 in my 65 Chrysler. I can't get the power steering pump belt to line up. Running the 440 source pulleys for the alt without AC. Seems the PS bracket only has one set bolt. Can't get the belt out there to align the pulleys. What am I doing wrong?
20191024_130305.jpg
20191024_130104.jpg
20191024_130305.jpg
20191024_130311.jpg
20191024_130343.jpg
20191024_130346.jpg
20191024_130350.jpg

There should be a rubber bushing that fits into the square hole on the inside of your PS bracket, yours is missing. The bushing allows the bracket to float and self align when the pump is under load. Someplace on this site the bushings are listed for sale.

Dave

Even with the bushing in place the bracket sometimes twists. I simply stack washers up under the bracket and the two pump body bolts, effectively aligning up the pump. You may need to get slightly longer bolts to do it... see pic below with screwdriver pointing at the washers. I see that I could probably benefit from one more washer under each bolt.

3.JPG
2.JPG

not my car but this:
4.jpg

i saw it on 100 cars at the car show - long story but i came upon a motor that the P/S pump was not installed onto so i had carefully looked at a BUNCH of cars as reference to understand how to mount it on my own motor. in my case, the A/C compressor support arm fits exactly into that space and no washers are required.

i removed the A/C compressor from the engine, and had to shim the space with washers much like this example picture.

try not to die -

- saylor

For years I jammed a chunk of 1/2" plywood in the pump bracket. Didn't straighten it completely but I drove it for 15+ years that way with no issues. The washer method looks a lot better though. I eventually got rid of the boat anchor compressor and water pump housing. Installed aluminum housing and brackets with a lightweight sanden compressor. Did this when replacing all the hoses and condenser. Check out cvf racing for the parts. Weighs about 60 pounds less. If I were to do it again I would go for the serpentine setup.

Back