Power Vent Motor- Anyone ever take one apart??

The power vent motor on my '70 300 has finally given up the ghost. It was intermittently functioning, but it's not doing anything now.

I'm getting ready to pull it apart. Anyone else done this?

BTW, the motor is the same as the late 60's Cadillac if that means anything. A google search has been fruitless for me.

@Big_John

The passenger side vent window on my 65 Imperial was intermittently working (amongst other things not relevant at the moment), but after I drove it one weekend my passenger side vent window wouldn't close. I hear the motor if I hit the switch as if I was trying to open it and it comes alive, but when hit it to close.... NOTHING .

I tore into it to see if it might've just came loose and even sprayed some lubricant on the shaft, but... NOTHING.

I tried to go through the manual you referred a while ago, I just don't know how to get to the part(s) without the correct terminology, which results in me having read through the entire manual .

Does the same part numbers you mention throughout this post work with my 65 Imperial, as well as how y'all (old school geniuses) applied them from GM, etc.?

If I can get the correct parts / gears I'll try to replace / repair them both. Or, would it be cheaper to just have someone rebuild them?

20241022_195638.jpg

The power vent motor on my '70 300 has finally given up the ghost. It was intermittently functioning, but it's not doing anything now.

I'm getting ready to pull it apart. Anyone else done this?

BTW, the motor is the same as the late 60's Cadillac if that means anything. A google search has been fruitless for me.
I did take one of mine apart and lubed it. Wasnt that difficult-
I think its GM motors, they look the same.
It the did operate intermittently, check the switches, could be an electrical problem

There is a YouTube video from a Caddy parts seller showing how to rebuild. Also a couple of posts about the vent windows on here, I know I was involved with at least one post. Imperial used the Caddy motors just opposite sides.

Last edited:
@Big_John

The passenger side vent window on my 65 Imperial was intermittently working (amongst other things not relevant at the moment), but after I drove it one weekend my passenger side vent window wouldn't close. I hear the motor if I hit the switch as if I was trying to open it and it comes alive, but when hit it to close.... NOTHING .

I tore into it to see if it might've just came loose and even sprayed some lubricant on the shaft, but... NOTHING.

I tried to go through the manual you referred a while ago, I just don't know how to get to the part(s) without the correct terminology, which results in me having read through the entire manual .

Does the same part numbers you mention throughout this post work with my 65 Imperial, as well as how y'all (old school geniuses) applied them from GM, etc.?

If I can get the correct parts / gears I'll try to replace / repair them both. Or, would it be cheaper to just have someone rebuild them?

View attachment 688418
I'm not sure which manual you are referring to... The factory service manual isn't going to get into rebuilding/repairing these and the factory parts manual isn't going to list individual parts for the motors.

They aren't hard to take apart or reassemble, but if you aren't confident, you could send them out for rebuild. Cadillac Parts Online, Classic, Vintage and Antique Cadillac Parts Dealer - Cadillac Parts Online | Caddy Daddy probably can rebuild them. They might not understand that it's a GM part in an Imperial, so you'll have to be ready to explain that. If you want to try yourself, that video on the first page is a good place to start.

I can't tell you confidently that the parts I got for my '70 300 are going to be the same as your '65 Imperial. I did a ton of searching for my stuff and didn't find a lot of info. There are a couple different versions of the motor that GM used over the years. I found that the ones for my '70 were the same as what they used in '61-'64 Cadillacs, so I would think that is what they used in your '65, but that's an edumacated guess on my part.

I hope that answers your questions.

I think you need to order a right side gear for a left side Imperial motor. I'd have to search the info, but too tired. You do it.

UPDATE :

Removed the motor, opened it, inspected it, put it back together and did a bench test. Nothing looked damaged AT ALL. IT WORKS!!! Plugged it and the switches back in and NOTHING. I'm assuming it's really the switches.

I got the window to close manually for now though. I guess it's time to enlist the services of @Devinism to rebuilt my switches.

20241027_110335.jpg

20241027_110339.jpg

20241027_113103.jpg

20241027_113113.jpg

20241027_105757.jpg

20241027_105745.jpg

20241027_105738.jpg

20241027_105717.jpg

Well - even more I stand by my advice.

It comes from my decades of pro music biz work.

Often sound equipment makes various noises and buzzing, usually from a simple cause that can be a bear to find.

When trying to find the source issue, we ALWAYS start at the sound source beginning and work to the end. It's a pathway, and one must follow it.

@Ross Wooldridge

Just did the 12v check

I'm getting about 12.9v to the motor plug when I hit either switch

I used my Milwaukee battery to check the motor again and yes, it worked both ways. I gotta be missing something

@Ross Wooldridge

Just did the 12v check

I'm getting about 12.9v to the motor plug when I hit either switch

I used my Milwaukee battery to check the motor again and yes, it worked both ways. I gotta be missing something
Put the motor in the car and try running it off the 12v source. I'm wondering if something is binding when it's mounted.

The motor case's mounting points should provide the ground to the body to complete the circuit, but I have seen some window motors that require a ground wire.

Make sure the motor is grounded properly in addition to what Big_John is suggesting.

You guys are geniuses!!!!!!!!

I ran a ground wire to the body of the car to complete the circuit and .... BOOM! It works (again).

@Big_John I didn't feel like wrestling that thing back into the door with the doubt of it not working lingering in the back of my mind.

I don't have a clue as to why it stopped working in the first place tho.

That's exactly why I love hanging around the garage with the OG's (in this case car forums, lol)

Thanks @Big_John @Ross Wooldridge (and the rest of y'all) for y'all's infinite wisdom. On to putting this door back together & on to the next interesting task

Back