Problem with your distibutor points?

mathiew

Reaction score
Is it okay to keep the points? Or it's better to put electronic points? Only for reliability

One issue with points is that the "cam" they ride upon, which opens and closes them, WILL and has worn, such that the point gap on EACH one is different, which affects the timing of each cylinder's spark. Set the points on one "representative" lobe and it'll be different on any other lobe. Put a dial indicator on the points and turn the shaft and it becomes very clear.

The ONE thing in favor of points is that if they will "spark", then the engine might fire and run. An electronic system has a minimum voltage requirement to fire the plug. In many cases, the engine will turn over but not fire. This gets worse with the Chry Orange Box, which needs over 10 volts to work, versus about 6 for a normal control box. So, points are best with weaker batteries, by observation.

The electronics are best for having consistent sparks and "no maintenance" every 15K miles or so, as points need. In many cases, the little vial of "point grease" is not always in the box with the points to lube their rubbing block, which decreases durability.

In general, I like the benefits of the electronic ignition system. The Mopar Perf kit is a good one and is still in the 2018 Mopar Perf catalog, just ditch the orange control box that comes with it for a normal control box (the min, voltage requirement issue).

No need for a high-output coil on a stock motor, either way.

CBODY67

While we're on the subject, what's the biggest (widest) tire I can run on my C-body, and what's the best way to jack up the rear end?

Points were obsolete by 1980, though Jap cars still used them into the 90's, I understand. E-ignition is so easy and better that there were retrofit kits by the 1990's. I put a Crane Cams XR700 into my A & C body Mopars then. Today, even easier. You can install the Ningbo "ready-to-run" distributor for $80 in a B/RB engine (<$50 in small-block), search ebay (Steve White Perf & others). Add an e-core coil for optimal spark. You can also roll-your-own w/ Mopar e-distributor and GM 8-pin HEI module. Much info on FABO and megasquirt sites. If keeping your distributor, Pertronix Ignitor fits under the cap (II or III version for better spark).

Back