Pushbutton A727 shavings in pan...

Sir Dodge alot

Reaction score
Hello and well met.

It's been 200 or so miles after I rebuilt the Pushbutton A727 and have dropped the pan multiple times to check the health of the transmission.

The shavings in the pan are silver in color.
(planetary gears/bushings?)

Is the amount of shavings acceptable as "normal" wear?
I'm not seeing the pile growing in size after dropping the pan at least 3 times now.

Still shifts fine, but maybe the shifts are slightly softer? (Softer shifts when up to operating temperature)
(Break-in Wear on the bands getting accustomed to daily status?)

There were fuzzies on the filter end, clutch material?

Appreciate any inputs.
Thanks.

PXL_20240717_211833580.jpg

PXL_20240717_211840248.jpg

PXL_20240717_211828817.jpg

Last edited:
Hello and well met.

It's been 200 or so miles after I rebuilt the Pushbutton A727 and have dropped the pan multiple times to check the health of the transmission.

The shavings in the pan are silver in color.
(planetary gears/bushings?)

Is the amount of shavings acceptable as "normal" wear?
I'm not seeing the pile growing in size after dropping the pan at least 3 times now.

Still shifts fine, but maybe the shifts are slightly softer? (Softer shifts when up to operating temperature)
(Break-in Wear on the bands getting accustomed to daily status?)

There were fuzzies on the filter end, clutch material?

Appreciate any inputs.
Thanks.

View attachment 675535

View attachment 675536

View attachment 675537
So you haven’t cleaned that stuff out each time you dropped the pan? It’s been a long time since I changed a trans filter. But, that looks pretty typical of what we used to see in the pan,but that was after 50k (or more) miles. I don’t know how long it it took for wear deposits to collect on a new rebuild. But, GM actually put a magnet in the pan to collect shavings, although those might be more coarse than we used to see. Will they cut your skin? The fluid looks real good. But of course it should. Mopar fluid would turn orange and smell like burnt peanuts if regular maintenance wasn’t followed. Sorry, but that’s all I can contribute

I agree with @myskin , in that you should clean the inside of the pan.

The pictures show what appears to be almost grinding dust. My experience with transmission pan gunk is that it is more like extremely fine sand, and if there’s clutch material in it, it will be dark, almost black in color.

Good luck with your repair.

So you haven’t cleaned that stuff out each time you dropped the pan? It’s been a long time since I changed a trans filter. But, that looks pretty typical of what we used to see in the pan,but that was after 50k (or more) miles. I don’t know how long it it took for wear deposits to collect on a new rebuild. But, GM actually put a magnet in the pan to collect shavings, although those might be more coarse than we used to see. Will they cut your skin? The fluid looks real good. But of course it should. Mopar fluid would turn orange and smell like burnt peanuts if regular maintenance wasn’t followed. Sorry, but that’s all I can contribute
Correct, I realize not cleaning out the pan Everytime I pulled the pan would be counter intuitive, but just needed to confirm the fact that the pile is not "growing" in a sense, I do have another in line filter that should take care of any other smaller particles smaller than the shavings.

Thank you, appreciate you chiming in.
Any feedback is appreciated.

I agree with @myskin , in that you should clean the inside of the pan.

The pictures show what appears to be almost grinding dust. My experience with transmission pan gunk is that it is more like extremely fine sand, and if there’s clutch material in it, it will be dark, almost black in color.

Good luck with your repair.
Ok, apologies if this seemed like an obvious answer regarding cleaning out the pan.
#face palm

Thank you very much for the feedback.
Will clean out the pan next time.

Back