Question on different RV sealants

spstan

Reaction score
Used ultra black RV sealant on my timing chain cover cause it said on the tube "ideal for timing chain covers". Now I'm trying to seal the water pump housing and the water pump. Can I use the same ultra black or is there a different sealant for water pumps and housing (i.e. a sealant for water as opposed to oil)? I'm pretty sure the red is for high temperature but I don't know what the blue and grey are for. Thoughts? Paul

Youll likely do fine with the black. They are all very similar with the following nuances; Toughness, blue, then black, then grey is the toughest after setting up. Ford used to build about the whole motor with the grey stuff. I have found it to be a real problem solver. The red is high temp, but its really not....you literally get a few degrees higher than the clear can handle and the red would fail as well. All colors should be impervious to oil and water.

I'm HOPING you used the paper gaskets, too! Otherwise, you've just glued the timing cover and possibly the water pump to the block! Do a skin coat on the paper gaskets, all sides, let it cure for a day, then install as normal.

As to the sealer, I used the black high-heat sealer. I like it as it has more body to it so it will stay put. Of course, as it is dark charcoal colored, it "hides in the shadows". Same thing GM used on the Chevy valley rail-to-intake manifold area.

The factory used NO sealer on the timing cover or water pump, just the thick paper gaskets. FWIW

In prior times, our service manager was a jet boat racer. The angled shims on the pump nozzle, he put together with clear silicone, back then. To remove them, it took a sharp chisel and hammer to get the silicone to break lose. Once violated, just some normal prying to get it all loose.

CBODY67

I basically use ultra black or the right stuff on everything but exhaust where I use a little copper

Back