Questions for the masses

moper

Reaction score
Eastern CT, 2 stoplight town, Columbia, CT
I'm considering thinning my heard of projects so call this as market research...

If you were in the market for a project car, something that needs work - how would you want it presented?
Apart? Assembled? Running? Primer? Showing bad areas?
Or maybe a better way to ask is "[You] wouldn't even look at it if it wasn't ...... "

I am considering parting out vs assembling (not finishing, just attaching the parts that are included) vs a quickie assemble and paint, vs working a deal with a buyer to finish it to a given level.

Any comments welcome. I won't discuss the models or figures. All hypothetical.

There's no one answer here but generally the worst way to sell a car is in pieces. Prospective buyers are scared away due to worries about what's missing and where does this go? Personally I'll take it running and driving. Cheaper to ship or I can drive it right on my trailer.

I'd have to agree with that unless it had hard to find pieces I needed for my car and that was all I really wanted, in that case it may be worth the added hassle of transport as well as less detritus to dispose of when done scavenging.

I'm considering thinning my heard of projects so call this as market research...

If you were in the market for a project car, something that needs work - how would you want it presented?
Or maybe a better way to ask is "[You] wouldn't even look at it if it wasn't ...... "

I am considering parting out vs assembling (not finishing, just attaching the parts that are included) vs a quickie assemble and paint, vs working a deal with a buyer to finish it to a given level.

Showing ALL bad areas that way we know you have nothing to hide. And without hoses!

A quickie with paint may give you the reputation of a seller hiding flaws.

Assembled and full disclosure.

Just think of what you want to totally know if you were buying it.

I agree with most answers so far. Re-assemble and get it running if you can. Don't paint, that indicates you may be trying to hide something or at least the person buying won't know what condition the body is in which lowers the value because of the unknown. If the car is not savable, part it out.

If I am buying I would want to buy something that runs and drives BUT...if its already apart leave it that way. If you put it back together and fluff it I have to undo all that.
My restoration skills are nil so a runner in nice shape is what I would look for if I had the money.

I suggest you leave it as it is like the barn find display at the MCACN show, as is where is and people know what they're dealing with.

Ultimately it's your car so do it how you wish and good luck with your sale.

I would make it the most complete, whole, and running car that you can, with all the extras on the side.

Thanks guys - I appreciate all the continuing feedback! I will say the last car I sold was bought by a moderator of another board who was more than satisfied. I'm not concerned about with what I give for details and condition.

Make it as complete as you can. Having it in running and driving condition obviously is a plus. Do not give it a quick coat of paint, even primer. That looks like you are hiding something. Show it warts and all. Honesty is the best policy.

Clean it up, but NO paint of any kind. Let it all be seen as it is. If you put some inexpensive paint on it, not only might it indicate you're trying to hide something, but it might also look like it's a cheap car you're trying to get more for with the new paint on it.

Running and driving is usually best, but it just depends upon how much $$$ you hope to get for it. Offering to thrown in a few extra parts to sweeten the deal might get it sold that way, too.

CBODY67

Back