Rear drum brake shoe question.

Lowbudget

Reaction score
I lost a wheel cylinder on my 70 Newport. This caused a piece of the lining to chunk off.

I grabbed a new set from Napa and the front shoe lining is set an inch further back than the old one. Is okay to run? According to the post that I read on FBBO it isn't.

IMG_1973.jpeg

IMG_1974.jpeg

Here's the FBBO post. Drum Brakes Grabbing - SOLVED!

Last edited:
Well lo and behold the FSM does show a shorter lining for 10 and 11 inch brakes. This is a 67 FSM. My memory not as good as it used to be....... I would follow the FSM.

brakes.jpg

One box of shoes should have 2 short and 2 long linings.
The short lining in primary front position, long lining on secondary rear position.

Front and rear shoes are the same, it just goes by diameter and width. Where the lining is placed on the shoe doesn't mean much.

Some early 60's 11" ford brake shoes are the same as mopar.

on self energizing brakes (ones where the brake adjuster floats with the shoes rather than being firmly attached to the backing plate), as you step on the brakes the whole assembly rotates a bit which jams the rear shoe against the drum...as a result it takes less pedal pressure to stop but the rear shoe does most of the work....so the lining on that shoe is made longer than the front one so it doesn't wear out first

Short lining always goes forward. They are the front shoes on the rear. Napa showed 2 sets, same number, one followed by NC. I have the NC set coming and will see what I end up with. Looking at my service manual pictures they look right. Maybe the FBBO thread steered me wrong.

The 3-digit number is the "industry part number", to which the seller adds their own pre-fix and suffix designations. No matter the brand, if that industry number is the same, it should be the same as to friction length and width, and drum diameter.

Seems like in some brands, the "INFO" page for the respective brake shoe brands in RockAuto have the friction lengths in the chart? Might be corroborating evidence?

Keep us posted,
CBODY67

Back