Rear end ratio.

Doug

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking at a 68 Chrysler 300 parts car.
Was just wondering if anyone knows if since these came with the TNT 440.
Was the rear end usually a sure grip?
I know there are many ratios it could be, I'm just hoping someone has dealt with many of these and could give me a kinda average that this probably is a sure grip.
The car is in a tight area and will need to be pulled out to check if both the wheels spin.
thanks for any help

1. Gear ratios available on the 8-3/4" axle through the years include: 2.76, 2.93, 3.23, 3.31, 3.55, 3.73, 3.91, 4.10, 4.56, 4.89, 5.17, 5.57. On OEM gear sets, the ratio is usually stamped on the ring gear edge. Ratio may be determined by the number of teeth on the ring gear divided by the number of teeth on the pinion gear or by counting the ratio of the number of turns of the pinion relative to one turn of the axle shaft.

Thanks, I knew there was many ratios.
Just was hoping for someone who has messed with may 300's and more than not found they had a suregrip.
Ratio not to important except if it has a sure grip, I can resell it and make the purchase price of the car a little easier to digest.
I have a sure grip already. It was a shot in the dark before, I have it pulled out to check.
I only want the front bucket seats and some trim.
But he wants to sell whole car together.
Nice solid car but pans and frame seen better days.

My other dollar would be if some one checked the TNT box, they would also check the Sure Grip box.
Edit: I misread the first post regarding the TNT option, really, without the TNT option, I would say a 50/50 chance of a Suregrip

Last edited:
It's all a toss up . Odds? Not sure of the odds but small engine cars even came with sure grips.

Ok , thank you, I will get the rear in the air and spin the wheels. Hopefully will be able to tell that way.

My other dollar would be if some one checked the TNT box, they would also check the Sure Grip box.

You would think but I have a 383- 2 with the S G . I also have a 383-4 without. Both cars same year make and model. The sportier ,bucket, console, road wheel car was ordered with a peg leg. The less dramatic bench seat, wheel cover am radio car has the SG.

I Was disappointed

You would think but I have a 383- 2 with the S G . I also have a 383-4 without. Both cars same year make and model. The sportier ,bucket, console, road wheel car was ordered with a peg leg. The less dramatic bench seat, wheel cover am radio car has the SG.

I Was disappointed
I'm hoping for a sure grip, it has the bucket package and they say it's a TNT car. I will venture out there and look it over once more, thanks

I'm pretty sure I've never heard of a C-body that had anything larger than a 3.23 in it from the factory. Anybody?

I'm hoping for a sure grip, it has the bucket package and they say it's a TNT car. I will venture out there and look it over once more, thanks

Sounds like a nicely optioned car, shame to part it unless she's too far gone

3.91 SG was not out of the ordinary. There was an A31 high performance axle package in '69-'71 that was 3.91 SG.

Frene bad on car, thanks for all the comments, it is a nice car, two fender tags.
Anyone know what the fender tag code would be for a sure grip, if there is a code?

Frene bad on car, thanks for all the comments, it is a nice car, two fender tags.
Anyone know what the fender tag code would be for a sure grip, if there is a code?
2 tags on a '68???

If there's an 8 under the X on the second line up from the bottom then it has a SG.

Back