Rebuilt 727 slipping until warm

65--880

Reaction score
I thought I posted something here but cant find it now. I recently had the 727 transmission rebuilt in my 65 Monaco. It will not go into reverse until I have warmed it up and moved it in and out of reverse. When warm reverse works fine but bangs into first gear. Should I take it back to the shop? I hope its something I can fix as at the moment the brake power booster is bad, I think, and cant find one to replace it.

I thought I posted something here but cant find it now. I recently had the 727 transmission rebuilt in my 65 Monaco. It will not go into reverse until I have warmed it up and moved it in and out of reverse. When warm reverse works fine but bangs into first gear. Should I take it back to the shop? I hope its something I can fix as at the moment the brake power booster is bad, I think, and cant find one to replace it.
It sounds like the transmission may have an internal leak. Low pressure to the clutches and bands will cause slippage. As a low cost fix, try draining the oil and remove the transmission pan. Check the torque on the valve body bolts some of them may be loose which will cause an internal oil leak. Inspect for rubber or metal parts in the pan as that indicates a failure of the rebuild. Is this transmission still under warranty? If so you might not want to take it apart as that might void the warranty.

Your car will probably have a Midland-Ross booster. www.powerbrakebooster.com rebuilds them. These are no longer stocked anywhere, so have it rebuilt. Do not install a chinesium after market replacement booster, they are all junk.

Dave

I would take it back to the shop before touching even one bolt. If the brakes aren't safe right now, go to the shop and let them know of the problem. Some places take their 6-12 month warranties very seriously. Others understand in the old car world things sometimes sit for a bit before being installed/used. Might buy you some time.

Just to cover the bases completely... Are you checking the level in neutral with the engine at idle?

About once a year I hear about the same symptoms from a fresh rebuild or a fluid change and the issue is the fluid level not being correct.

Define warmed up. Torqueflites pump little to no fluid to the torque converter in Park and the converter will drain back after shutting off. It takes a minute to pump it back full next time you go to leave after you put it in gear and it will feel like it's slipping until it does.

Easy test. Start the car and immediately shift to neutral and wait say 30 seconds and then shift into reverse. If it engages right away, your problem is converter drain back.

Before Chrysler installed anti drain back valves in the valve body, they all did it to some degree, some worse than others. My 65 wagon isn't bad if you drive it every day but if it sits for any amount of time, it barely offers to move when first started unless I do the neutral trick.

Kevin

It sounds like the transmission may have an internal leak. Low pressure to the clutches and bands will cause slippage. As a low cost fix, try draining the oil and remove the transmission pan. Check the torque on the valve body bolts some of them may be loose which will cause an internal oil leak. Inspect for rubber or metal parts in the pan as that indicates a failure of the rebuild. Is this transmission still under warranty? If so you might not want to take it apart as that might void the warranty.

Your car will probably have a Midland-Ross booster. www.powerbrakebooster.com rebuilds them. These are no longer stocked anywhere, so have it rebuilt. Do not install a chinesium after market replacement booster, they are all junk.

Dave
Thank you Dave, yes the trans is still under warranty but not for long since ( until now ) I had no source to get the booster rebuilt. I will take your advise and contact powerbrake booster.com. I greatly appreciate your help. Scott

Define warmed up. Torqueflites pump little to no fluid to the torque converter in Park and the converter will drain back after shutting off. It takes a minute to pump it back full next time you go to leave after you put it in gear and it will feel like it's slipping until it does.

Easy test. Start the car and immediately shift to neutral and wait say 30 seconds and then shift into reverse. If it engages right away, your problem is converter drain back.

Before Chrysler installed anti drain back valves in the valve body, they all did it to some degree, some worse than others. My 65 wagon isn't bad if you drive it every day but if it sits for any amount of time, it barely offers to move when first started unless I do the neutral trick.

Kevin
I let the engine warm up until the temp guage started moving up. Then put it in neutral and it wont move. I have to cycle it a coouple times from parl to reverse then it goes into gear just fine. That is when it it starts banging into first gear. The fluid level is a little high. I added some as I thought that might remedy my problem. I will try the " Easy test " tomorrow. Thank you.

Just to cover the bases completely... Are you checking the level in neutral with the engine at idle?

About once a year I hear about the same symptoms from a fresh rebuild or a fluid change and the issue is the fluid level not being correct.
Yes, Sir. Absolutley. thank you

I would take it back to the shop before touching even one bolt. If the brakes aren't safe right now, go to the shop and let them know of the problem. Some places take their 6-12 month warranties very seriously. Others understand in the old car world things sometimes sit for a bit before being installed/used. Might buy you some time.
I had better get to it. Thank you. I have been down with a back surgery and havent been doing anything for the last 6 months.

Kevin
Thanks for the info Kevin. I started it and immediately put it in neutral and quickly put it into reverse and it went into gear fine. It had only been sitting a day or 2 this time rather than the 5 or 6 months it had been sitting over the winter.

Thanks again, I greatly appreciate you and everyone else for the help

Back