Repairable? Dent in wheel …

darth_linux

Reaction score
Picked up this set of four 15 x 7“ wheels from a 80s Fifth Avenue. Just noticed there’s a bit of a dent in one of the rims. Can it be repaired?

IMG_3576.jpeg

IMG_3577.jpeg

It should be able to be straightened. If you can't do it yourself, take it to a welding shop.

No "tire shop" has the tools or expertise to do something like that. A frame shop might, though, IF they might desire to. Looks like it's just the lip/flange, so would be probably be good to use as is, if no balance or air loss issue might arise.

Might take the wheel to a tire shop and get them to chuck it up on their balance machine to check for lateral and rim circumference run-out.

A frame shop we used to get springs built at straightened a wheel that looked worse than that. Might look for one that works on school busses, too? Not sure I would use much heat, for the same reasons that GM 6L80E torque converters fail. BUT, afterall, it is "sheet metal".

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

No "tire shop" has the tools or expertise to do something like that. A frame shop might, though, IF they might desire to. Looks like it's just the lip/flange, so would be probably be good to use as is, if no balance or air loss issue might arise.

Might take the wheel to a tire shop and get them to chuck it up on their balance machine to check for lateral and rim circumference run-out.

A frame shop we used to get springs built at straightened a wheel that looked worse than that. Might look for one that works on school busses, too? Not sure I would use much heat, for the same reasons that GM 6L80E torque converters fail. BUT, afterall, it is "sheet metal".

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67
We've got a "wheel" repair shop here in town that I"ll take it to on Monday and see what they want. I'm guessing $50 . . .

Picked up this set of four 15 x 7“ wheels from a 80s Fifth Avenue. Just noticed there’s a bit of a dent in one of the rims. Can it be repaired?

View attachment 666270

View attachment 666271
I worked at a tire shop for over 20 years.
Yes it can be repaired but not by the shop.
Here is what YOU can do....
With a 20lb sledge hammer, lay rim flat on floor FACE UP.
You stand on the rim with dent at your butt.
Swing sledge and hit the dented lip until it it close to being round again.
IF dent pushed lip inward, Flip rim face down and pound down on dent until flush with rest of lip.
Spin rim either on a car or tire balancing machine before mounting tire to ensure it was just the lip.
Grind lip smooth and use bead sealer when mounting tire.
Strongly recommend putting weights on both sides on that rim.
Hope this helps!

Back