Replace Vinyl 73 Imperial / How to remove door trim?

Dirk

Reaction score
I am in the process of replacing my vinyl roof. I have removed the trim around the rear window so far. The problem now is the trim around the side windows. I can see that there are clips, but I have no idea how to release them. I've spent hours searching but can't find anything.
Does anyone have an idea or a link for me?
Thx.

IMG_20240721_101035506.jpg

IMG_20240721_101524507.jpg

IMG_20240721_110357416.jpg

Hi Dirk, I´m Marvin. I was also at the Spring Fling with my 73 Coupe back in May. My friend replaced the vinyl 10 years ago when he owned the car. I´ll ask him and reach out to you later. So far I´ve some old shady pictures of the process that suggest the weather rails stay on the car.

IMG-20230525-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20230525-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20230525-WA0008.jpg

I am in the process of replacing my vinyl roof. I have removed the trim around the rear window so far. The problem now is the trim around the side windows. I can see that there are clips, but I have no idea how to release them. I've spent hours searching but can't find anything.
Does anyone have an idea or a link for me?
Thx.

View attachment 673794

View attachment 673795

View attachment 673796
Hi Dirk I sure don’t know how to do it but please post pics of the top replacement process. Thanks

@71Polara383 and @david hill collaborated on getting my 1972 NYB's vinyl top replaced, and they may want to chime in as the 1972 and 1973 rooflines are (AFAIK) the exact same. Caveat: Buttercup, my '72, is a New Yorker two-door -- not an Imperial like yours or like @Marv's friend's.

The story (with photos) of the Buttercup rood R&R starts here -- that post, and a number of subsequent posts, may help you.

On the 69 Polara the rain rail trim is held on with rivets (could have screws), they are under the weatherstrip.
2010-02-11_001.jpg

2010-02-11_002.jpg

Alan

ok I´ll just quote my friends reply
" It´s a lot of work. The stainless gutters need to be removed. To do so, you have to remove the roof rail rubber, then the metal roof rail itself and lastly the stainless gutters which are riveted to the roof. You need to drill out the aluminum rivets to remove it. This must be done as the vinyl top extends under that roof rail und gutter trim. Afterwards I riveted the trim back on. There´s more to it. The plastic clips that hold the trim around along the bottom c-pillar are probably shot, just as the metal rear window trim screws along the bottom of the rear glass (they usually rust away). I had to remove the glass from the fiberglass plug with piano wire just to replace those clips (held in place with phillips screws). And then you´ll get a look at the filler/bondo around the rear window plug. 99% chance that it´s cracked and deteriorated. I hired a body guy to do that finishing work before my painter could start his work. It was hell and remember, the car had absolutely zero rust. Can´t imagine what a car is rust issues in that area will require"

Well that sounds like you have some work ahead of you, considering it´s also a sunroof. But it will be worth it in the end

Back