Replacement headrests/supports

Reliabilityman

Reaction score
What are people doing when their headrests get cracked? Is there a solution or aftermarket replacement that will work? These are not fabric but molded around foam like a dash.

IMG_1068.JPG

IMG_1067.JPG

I guess its similar to dash cracks. You either get it recovered or settle for some band aid that's good enough. Legendary makes headrest covers (not sure about those exact ones) but even if not its a small project for a professional. As far as patching goes there are a ton of "fixes" for vinyl and leather - cars and home furniture. My bench seat headrests were cracked in a few places, and I used the old school vinyl patch compound to fill in the cracks. Had to add it in several layers. I was surprised at how well it held up. You could easily see the patch but much better than tan foam color. I've also used black RTV silicone for small cracks and also Roof Polyurethane that also works well as seam sealer. All of it can be seen though. I did try to use vinyl cement and a watchet strap to close the cracks permanently. They did not stay closed :(

Vinyl patch

Oh right, and those plastic seat covers make me sweat just looking at them. I would be sliding around like picking up spaghetti with a spoon.

Last edited:
I doubt AMS did the work as they sell parts. However, that said I have been wrong only 2 times in my life and that
resulted in my marriage dissolved/annulled plus jail time (# 1) and a train load of cute puppies sliding off a cliff (# 2).

Remember I said doubt so you may be correct......the puppies were just fine but the train suffered major damage.

I doubt AMS did the work as they sell parts. However, that said I have been wrong only 2 times in my life and that
resulted in my marriage dissolved/annulled plus jail time (# 1) and a train load of cute puppies sliding off a cliff (# 2).

Remember I said doubt so you may be correct......the puppies were just fine but the train suffered major damage.

I dealt with a guy named Mike. There was also another guy named Corey, who handled e-mail communications, etc.

I paid $395 to refurbish the pair.

Here is a partial e-mail thread from Corey:

AMS OBSOLETE
ATTN: MIKE
13459 FAIRMOUNT HWY SE
FAIRMOUNT, GEORGIA 30139

Please allow a few weeks for completion of your product as we are extremely busy and are working as fast as we can. We are also attending Mopar nationals in August and this may affect completion of your order. Please include the following info in your package:

NAME
RETURN ADDRESS
PHONE NUMBER
EMAIL ADDRESS
DESCRIPTION OF REQUESTED SEEVICE

Thank You,
Corey
AMS Obsolete

I don't think anyone is refurbishing that style of headrest.

However, that said I have been wrong only 2 times in my life and that

I could be wrong and this style is being repop'd or refurbished, but my track record for being wrong doesn't involve puppies or Marty's ex-wife. It was just once, 1989, a Tuesday. As it turned out, I just thought I was wrong.

Back