Replacing or rebuilding a Federal PS pump.

celticwarlock

Reaction score
Greetings.

I have a Federal pump on my '69 NY (original 440 with only 60K) which is slowly crapping out. It's leaking slightly from the seal behind the pulley, and the shaft has some end play (very little, but you can hear it even with the belt still on). The leak is minor now, but I'm sure it will get worse.

There are rebuild kits, but should I replace it or rebuild it? Are there reliable sources for new/rebuilt pumps? Also....how does it come apart?

I sent my '65 Barracuda pump to these guys: Powersteering.com

I'm pretty happy with the results. After looking at rebuilding it myself, it just seemed to make more sense to have it rebuilt by a professional shop.

I tried to rebuild mine...made it even worser :/. Bought a new one from BBB Industries over RA and rinsed the system: all problems gone and runs perfectly.

I bought a new one from BBB, but it didn't come with a pulley. There's something that looks like a nut on the end of the shaft. Does that have to be removed before the pulley comes off? I would think that it does, but it doesn't have a hex design, so I'm not sure how well a socket will work on it.

There are 2 types of pulleys. Some will be needed to just pulled of others are with a nut.

Here is mine, without nut. Just pulling it of with force and a special tool.

IMG_20231108_193600927.jpg

IMG_20231105_123355325.jpg

Like this

Last edited:
Excellent.

The old pump is out, the pulley is off, and I'm assembling the new pump in a day or two.

I noticed that the high pressure line has no o-ring on it, but there is one in a recessed area in the pump where the threads for the fitting on the line get screwed in.

Is this the only o-ring I need, or am I missing something?

Sh...forgotted to answer! There was a small black o-ring in the bbb package you can install in the high pressure line. I had the o ring in the pump und wrecked it putting the HP line in...worked better to put the ring directly "on the line".

There were 2 rings in the package. One I'm pretty sure goes into a groove in the pump body first, then the smaller one goes on the line itself, Id imagine.

It's all together. I'll fire it up over the weekend and make sure nothing leaks.

Back