Rock Auto crap parts

Just recently Rockauto refused to pick up the return shipping cost of sway bar links that did not fit the verbal description AND-photos in their catalog
The excuse was that the manufacturer can change the part any time, but as long as the parts fit and function, I’m out of luck
The catalog photo showed grease zerks and poly boots but the parts I got had none. To me it’s “BAIT and SWITCH “
The shipping cost was not much, but it’s the principle, it’s their mistake, they should cover the cost. They say that in the return policy

I’ve been a customer since they started but now I’m looking elsewhere for parts and finding similar or better prices with free returns and no multiple shipping costs from different locations on 1 order
The easiest way to recoup money from un-cooperative vender is to file a claim with your Credit Card, Bank or Pay Pal. Whichever means you used to pay for the product.

If you are creative you can open a cash commercial account at most parts houses, Oreilly, NAPA etc. Oreilly first call will give you approximately the same pricing as RA, PLUS no shipping cost or difficult returns.......just sayn. New GIG Economy right?

Thanks for your insights

I checked the Better Business website on RA complaints, it’s not a pretty picture for some people
Luckily for me it’s not worth the time and effort for a part and shipping so small. The part was not for my C body thank goodness
I’ll spend time on her instead

Thanks for your insights

I checked the Better Business website on RA complaints, it’s not a pretty picture for some people
Luckily for me it’s not worth the time and effort for a part and shipping so small. The part was not for my C body thank goodness
I’ll spend time on her instead

Yeah, best to move on, not worth your time. RA is a faceless company mostly devoid of real humans. However, most of the interactions I've had with them have been positive. They do suck at customer service though. But they are an asset to the hobby, even just for doing parts research.

My general feeling over the years buying from them has been positive and has saved me quite a bit of money since I have 6 vehicles not counting the rest of the family when they call for advice and where to find parts
But the more these problems come up with these Gig companies you learn how to deal
RA is however a good source of info on parts
BTW anyone familiar with exactly how to “google “ owner or other info by vin# of our cars without the 17 vin #’s required for carfax etc

You have to keep a close eye on your WallyWorld shopping items at the checkout, I found many price increases at the checkout higher than the shelf sticker. I've gotten so I take a picture of the item with the shelf sticker and if a problem at checkout just show the associate minding the self checkout the picture and they change it right there rather than having to run to the shelf and back.
Last time I caught it was after I had left the checkout and was reviewing my receipt. It was only a 50¢ increase and was just before the Thanksgiving shopping madness and I looked at the line at the service desk and just rolled out of the store saying they got me this time not worth it.

I remember buying new brake drums and rotors 40 years ago (good parts, not cheap crap) and seeing the note in the box saying to turn the rotors before installing. I never did (LOL) taking the chance they would be good enough. Of course, that was my own cars and worst case was pulling it back apart to turn the drum. A pro mechanic might not want a returning (unhappy) customer.

Yep! That was a real simple concept. As long as you didn't destroy the surface, there usually was no reason to turn or replace the drums, yet I saw that time after time.

I was sitting at lunch one time with my step son (he was grown when I married his mom) and he ok'd a $1000+ brake job on his 1/2 ton pickup. I said "WTF?" and explained he should be getting kissed too, but it came down to I know absolutely nothing about cars apparently and the guy selling him brakes knows everything. If that was one of my kids, they would be saying... "Put the f'ing car back together, I didn't tell you to check the brakes"... and then if it did need brakes, they'd spend $25 for pads, do the job in a half hour and all would be right with the world. His relatively new Ford "needed" everything. New calipers, rotors etc. Yea, right...
CBC Canada investigative show did a program on how Honda Dealers rip off the unsuspecting owners up there. Same thing goes on with dealers and independents here in the states, the shows on YT.

Rainman Ray uncovered a gimmick that some other garage did by using a jumper wire to put a persons vehicle into a transmission limp mode setting them up for a big payday (5 grand) transmission ripoff.

I hate to say it, but I don't know of any small auto parts stores in this area any more.

I used a local NAPA when my son worked there... They changed owners (after he had moved on) and the new management really pissed me off by refusing to return a part. The part was obviously used and not even the correct one.... The manager got pissed at me, then promptly answered the scanner when the phone rang which sent me into hysterical laughter. He calmed down and made it right, but I stayed away.

My old buddy started working at another NAPA (again) and he was my "go to guy". He's transferred about 75 miles away though and it's phone calls for part numbers if I need to.

The other NAPA changed hands again, and a couple folks I know work there... Problem is they aren't the sharpest tools in the shed and don't cut me any deals on parts anymore. Great for a hose, but an oil filter confuses one (and she used to be pretty sharp) and the other, well, I knew him and his late Dad... Nice guys, but well, nice guys, let's say that.

I used to buy from another place... He retired (passed away last year I'm sorry to say) and they were real sharp. They sold the business to a local car dealer that was going to break into the car parts business and they managed to run it into the ground in 5 years. I only went in there once and that was enough.

The local Advance Auto isn't bad... Gotta spoon feed them sometimes, but the cigarette voiced woman behind the counter is sharper than most. AutoZone is a joke... They have an O'Reilly's now... OMG... I don't think those guys know that you can't drink the oil.

So... It's RA... or Amazon... The new daily has a warranty and honestly, it has tied me to the stealership more than any other car ever has before. I'm retired too... So any parts are for cars that can sit and I don't need to fix them NOW! to get to work tomorrow.
Big John
Try Kings in Auburn.
Ask for Bob. He has been doing hard to find parts since the 80's

Big John
Try Kings in Auburn.
Ask for Bob. He has been doing hard to find parts since the 80's
I've always heard of King's but never been in there. Thanks.

It's really funny, the local (Marcellus) NAPA refers any old Mopar questions to my buddy in the Elmira NAPA.

One of the folks I know at that local NAPA passed away earlier this year, so with her gone, one less contact in the parts business.

I've said this a few times... I use RA rather shamelessly as a source for part numbers.
It's funny this came to the top again today...

My son called me this afternoon. He was putting new front brakes on his Ford Edge and screwed up a slider bolt. Since it's his only transportation at the moment, I went over to the local NAPA store to grab some. He called first and yes, they had them...

Great... The girl on the counter was pretty knowledgeable but she gave me some caliper mounting bolts instead... A search through their system didn't show the correct slider bolts and after a few tries, she called the owner over. Ready for this??? After trying himself, he opened up Rock Auto web site and looked up the part number and crossed it to the NAPA part number. Funny, if he didn't tell me, I wouldn't have known.

So, smart guy for using tools supplied by a competitor!

In the meantime, my son got the part number from Autozone and messaged it to me... He used to work at this NAPA years (and 2 owners) ago and he worked at the Ford parts counter for a while.

Back