which one is best?

• melling

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SA gear

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Cartel

Reaction score
melling: .250 Inch Seamless Double Roller Timing Chain; 1 Bolt Cast Iron Camshaft Sprocket; 3 Keyway Adjustable Crankshaft Sprocket

sa gear: Single Bolt Cam, Billet Steel Cam Sprocket, 9 Keyway Crank Gear for multiple Cam Adjustments, Large .250 Diameter Seamless Double Roller Chain

thanks

sa has this which is confusing:

Press fit roller thrust bearing or bronze washer option on camshaft gear. Standard or .005" and .010" reduced center distance options.

sa has this which is confusing:

Press fit roller thrust bearing or bronze washer option on camshaft gear. Standard or .005" and .010" reduced center distance options.
Has a thrust bearing on the rear of cam gear. Normally the gear (cast iron, rides against block) similar metals with plenty of splash lube, no problem.
Billet or steel gear is harder and will wear the block (softer metal) so they incorporate a thrust bearing or washer on rear of gear. Cam is pulled rearward by lifter rotation from taper of the lobes.
If you are not degreeing the camshaft (why not?) the top chain is fine. Bottom one is easier to get it right with a skoosh of advance.
Standard, .005, .010 is if mains have been line bored moving crankshaft higher in the block/closer to the cam.

SA Gear Billet Steel Timing set's offer Larger .250 diameter seamless double roller chains. Billet steel camshaft gear. Heat treated black oxide 3 Keyway or 9 keyway crank gear for multiple cam adjustments. Press fit roller thrust bearing or bronze washer option on camshaft gear. Standard or .005" and .010" reduced center distance options. This timing chain kit is the work horse for all performance applications using high lift camshafts and high valve spring pressures.

I just cant take a chance with rock auto and these options arent really listed anywhere. I think its best for me to get the melling.

Back