Saying goodbye to Dad

live4theking

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
In life timing is everything.

Previously I started this thread about a trip to TX to see my Dad because of unknown health issues that suddenly came up. Trip tp TX to see Dad

Being born in 1930 put him a draft age when the the Korean conflict was getting fired up in 1950 he returned home to PA from CA and enlisted in the Air Force to side step being drafted into the Army. He was a bomber mechanic and spent a fair amount of his time stationed in the Philippines doing major repairs and upgrades.

He was an honest hard working man that toiled for all that he had and whose word could be solidly depended upon. There are too many things that I could share that I'll be missing as time moves on. From our last and final visit the thing that will stick with me for a long time is how his eyes widened and became bright as picked my 3 year old daughter up and placed her on the bed with him. The two of them had a running banter or fun loving little argument to determine who was the "stinker". It was so much fun to watch them banter back and forth.

In the last month old age and ill health had robbed him of his strength, but not of his sense of humor nor of his faith. My oldest sister was the last one to be with him and she said that he was at peace and sing to God prior to leaving him to get lunch. Before she got back he was gone. The family and I had stopped in that morning, Wednesday, to say our final good byes before heading for PA. I honestly didn't think he would be gone that quickly, certainly not that day.

I thought that I might be able to sneak in a long weekend visit in a month or two. It goes to show that non of us knows when our last day will be. Be sure that the ones you love know it without a doubt.

I’m very sorry to hear of your loss, sending thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

Very sorry to here about your Dad, thoughts and prayers for you and your family. Sounds like you had a god visit though

Our sincere condolences. All I can say is try to focus on the good times and memories.

Thankfully you were able to visit him, my condolences

Prayers for you all. Your Dad, sounds a bit like mine. He was born in 1932 in Muskegon, Michigan. My grandma, Dad and his younger brother and sister lost my Grandpa in 1937 to silicosis from working in a Continental engine plant . Dad started to roam around the state with his best friend Duane Dewey, working on his own at 13, and my grandma, who lost a brother who rode the trains during the depression was worried about him constantly. Dad decided he was going to join the military when he was 15 and managed to doctor his birth certificate to show his birth year as 1930. Grandma finally broke down and agreed to him joining the military just after his 16th birthday and signed a consent letter stating he was 17, almost 18. He joined the USAF in 1948 because the lines at the Marine, Army and Navy offices were too long. Dad served for just over 20 Years, retiring in 1968. Dad and mom were married for 63 good years and raised 9 kids and half a dozen or more sisters, brothers and nephews and nieces. Like you, I grew up thinking Dad was the most honest, honorable man i ever knew, and still think that. We lost him in 2014 and Mom in 2017, and though they're gone, they will always be with us. I see them in my brothers and sisters, my daughter and my 6 grandkids every day.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your Dad. My Dad was born in 1928 and i was lucky to have him until 2009. He wanted to go fishing one last time with me and my cousin. We were a day away from the fishing trip when that final roll call came for him. He lived in Milwaukee and I lived in Maryland. I would visit with him and my Mom when she was still alive 3 or 4 times a year and talk on the phone 2-3 times a week. It was funny when cell phones became the norm. He never had one but would call my cell phone about every 50 miles when i drove home or back with the same question....."Where are you at now"? Lol.

Focus on the great times that you shared with him......it helps a lot.

Last edited:
Sorry for your loss John. I am very glad you got that last trip, stories like that make me wonder if it was strength of will or divine intervention that allowed that last visit with his grandchildren... maybe both. Those last moments can really stick with someone, even the little ones.

My condolences to you and your family.

My sincere condolences to you and your family. May he Rest In Peace.

Sorry for your loss, my father was also a Korean War vet, he was drafted into the Army, also born in 1930, we lost him in March 2001. Not many left who fought in the forgotten war. My condolences, you'll never regret making the trip to TX the last time. I'm glad your whole family had the chance to say goodby. I'm sure it meant the world to him to be able to see everyone.

Sorry for your lost, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

John, I'm sorry for your loss and I'm glad you and your family got to see him one last time.

So sorry John ... take heart until you see him again.

00-1-2-2.jpg

You said it best in the last sentence of your post John. Love 'um while you can and tell 'um so! I know you and your family are so happy you made the journey to see your dad in Texas. And how more fitting could your visit have been timed. We're thinking of you and your Family in this very tough time my friend, Jer

Back