Shipping - UPS

Mudeblue

Reaction score
Is it a requirement by UPS that all boxes be crushed and damaged in shipment? I am in the middle of a restoration project and ordering numerous items from numerous vendors. It seems that whenever shipment involves UPS, the package arrives damaged and the items have been damaged and sometimes the contents lost. I have gotten to the point that I request that vendors NOT to ship UPS which was the case for a wooden steering wheel which arrived today, UPS; crushed and damaged. Filing a claim with them is a joke; jump through multiple hoops and they never pay the claim! Never have a problem with the Post Office or FedEx. FRUSTRATING!

Being in Canada and when ordering anything from the US,I always specify Fedex.
UPS charge brokerage fees sometimes more than the value of the part.
Typically they arrive demanding payment or hold your parcel as ransom.
At Fedex, they include any duties upon the shipping quote without any further surprises.
If the supplier/seller does not want to ship through Fedex..no deal.

I believe that many of these problems are root caused by people not taking their job responsibilities seriously. I have observed that it’s systemic across many areas, causing variances in all aspects of our lives.

You know why they get crushed? Because ******* idiot packers will put a small box into a extra large box with no ******* packing material to support it!! So what do you think will happen?

fed ex left a package sunday outside in rain, 2 feet from the unlocked porch door

Reading this forum, I have seen so many bad reviews about UPS that I will never use this shipping service.
But what do you guys think about DHL or Hermes? Are they better? A couple of months I ordered a DHL delivery from https://www.pоstsendungsverfolgung.com/de/ and got it in a couple of days without any issues. But what is your experience with this company? It seems nice, but I have not cooperated with it for a long time and cannot tell for sure.
I ask because I need to send some fragile items from the US to Canada and DHL got a better offer for me in terms of the insurance.

Last edited:
Reading this forum, I have seen so many bad reviews about UPS that I will never use this shipping service.
But what do you guys think about DHL or Hermes? Are they better? A couple of months I ordered a DHL delivery from https://www.pоstsendungsverfolgung.com/de/ and got it in a couple of days without any issues. But what is your experience with this company? It seems nice, but I have not cooperated with it for a long time and cannot tell for sure.
I ask because I need to send some fragile items from the US to Canada and DHL got a better offer for me in terms of the insurance.

I would not use DHL; from what I have seen their drivers are all ex-cons or MS-13'ers (or look-alikes).

Surprised to hear flak about UPS. Always had good experience with them and their drivers. Fedex are more of the roughnecks of the two from what I've noticed, although I've had no bad experiences that I can remember....

The first time our new UPS driver made a delivery, he underhand tossed a box over our front gate. What he didn't see was my wife standing in the barn 20 yards away witnessed the whole thing. She confronted him and his reply was "I hope it wasn't grandma's China" followed by "You aren't going to call my supervisor, are you?" My cousins who both work for UPS took care of it for us on their end.

UPS - Not "no", but "hell, NO!"
FedEx - I've had decent luck with them, but they are about a half-step up from UPS.
USPS - They'll at least put the box over the locked gate, so it's harder for the porch pirates to strike.
DHL - Used to ship several wheels, several years ago, and had great luck with them on that particular load. I had to take them to the airport, though.
Fastenal - Used them several times and always had superb service; but they've changed the way they do things and I don't use them anymore.
Greyhound Bus - Nope. Not desperate enough to ship or receive through them. I've heard too many horror stories about Greyhound, though I know folks that swear by them.

I had an engine in southern Colorado a few years back I bought from an individual. Considering shipping and drop fees and such, it was actually easier and $230 cheaper for me to drive 525 miles to pick the engine up, stay in a hotel overnight, and drive home. Go figure!

I would not use DHL; from what I have seen their drivers are all ex-cons or MS-13'ers (or look-alikes).

Surprised to hear flak about UPS. Always had good experience with them and their drivers. Fedex are more of the roughnecks of the two from what I've noticed, although I've had no bad experiences that I can remember....
Not sure why you would make a comment about EX-CONS? Would you rather have them putting something on your front step or not allow them to work and have them taking something off your front step! Sheer NONSENSE now give us 25 push-ups and a maya culpa!

Not sure why you would make a comment about EX-CONS? Would you rather have them putting something on your front step or not allow them to work and have them taking something off your front step! Sheer NONSENSE now give us 25 push-ups and a maya culpa!

Shaved heads, neck tatoos, type of music blasting, and interaction with other dudes of same description.... yeah - ex-con, current con, or general lowlife that comes onto your property to deliver a package, looks around for what could be stolen, then comes back later with his homies to commit robbery. Por favor....

UPS - Not "no", but "hell, NO!"
FedEx - I've had decent luck with them, but they are about a half-step up from UPS.
USPS - They'll at least put the box over the locked gate, so it's harder for the porch pirates to strike.
DHL - Used to ship several wheels, several years ago, and had great luck with them on that particular load. I had to take them to the airport, though.
Fastenal - Used them several times and always had superb service; but they've changed the way they do things and I don't use them anymore.
Greyhound Bus - Nope. Not desperate enough to ship or receive through them. I've heard too many horror stories about Greyhound, though I know folks that swear by them.

I had an engine in southern Colorado a few years back I bought from an individual. Considering shipping and drop fees and such, it was actually easier and $230 cheaper for me to drive 525 miles to pick the engine up, stay in a hotel overnight, and drive home. Go figure!
If your time isn’t accounted for. I get your point, though and I have done the same myself.

Shaved heads, neck tatoos, type of music blasting, and interaction with other dudes of same description.... yeah - ex-con, current con, or general lowlife that comes onto your property to deliver a package, looks around for what could be stolen, then comes back later with his homies to commit robbery. Por favor....

I'm sure you can provide us with proof of this happening to you,like a police report.

I think it really depends on which warehouse your products ship though. Fed ex here is the champion.

Back