Some like brown some like orange

69monaco

Reaction score
Some like both……………..must be the only one…...
5-1.jpg

1970 Dodge Challenger Convertible – Dark Burnt Orange / Black – A&E Classic Cars

That car likely had a tan/brown top when it was built, if burnt orange is the original shade, that is...….. nice Challenger at any rate, and I don't think a lot of droptops were built in 1970...…..

Nope, black top car. Man what a stunner!
35-1.jpg

Convertibles were on the decline by 1970.
There were no A body 'verts after 69.
1970 as we all know last year for C body 'verts.
The E body lasted only two years 70/71
Ford held on til 72 with the LTD and the mustang vert held in for 1973.
GM oferdd full size drop tops til 1976.

That car likely had a tan/brown top when it was built, if burnt orange is the original shade, that is...….. nice Challenger at any rate, and I don't think a lot of droptops were built in 1970...…..

Black or White, your choice. That was it for 1970.

One doesn't see that level of quality in a restoration very often from a brief review of the offering here as far as I can see. The body/paint work, the alignment of all the door/panel gaps, character lines and so on is exceptional - none of the usual flaws in these kinds of efforts. He should get the asking price IMO. It just needs front seat belts. I wonder if the restoration included any stiffening of the frame - these E body verts badly needed some of that.

One doesn't see that level of quality in a restoration very often from a brief review of the offering here as far as I can see. The body/paint work, the alignment of all the door/panel gaps and so on is exceptional - none of the usual flaws in these kinds of efforts. He should get the asking price IMO. It just needs front seat belts. I wonder if the restoration included any stiffening of the frame - these E body verts badly needed some of that.

Almost perfect, Drop top, N code, Burnt orange ...

If it were a 340 I think I’d like it even better.

If it were a 340 I think I’d like it even better.

It would be hard to argue with either choice - both great engines.

When I first joined Chrysler in 1969, a couple of other newbies and myself rented a house in Oak Park Michigan to save costs and it was reasonably close to Highland Park engineering headquarters. One of them at the time owned a 1970 Challenger convertible that was orange with an N code, but he got frustrated with the car when he was going over some railroad tracks one day at speed and one of the rear power windows flew out of the car - that was the last straw and he called the car the "Flexible Flyer". So, since he worked in the steering and suspension lab, he traded his convertible for a Challenger T/A with the 340 of course. Either one "rocked"!

I liked the Challenger T/A best only because it cornered like it was on rails. What an impressive car! And both of them excelled in the acceleration department.

I love orange, but that stripe just doesn't do it for me. Since it has a black top, I think it should be black. Then again I would have taken a white top and stripe.

I love orange, but that stripe just doesn't do it for me. Since it has a black top, I think it should be black. Then again I would have taken a white top and stripe.

The unique factor plays a big part in desirability here ( I think).

That and its 50 years after it was new.

An amazing color combo. A great restoration but a few nitpicks. Missing engine call out on hood, woodgrain inserts on interior door panels, and the area behind the grill should be black. None of these are a deal breaker but should be addressed.

One really nice item is the A63 option. Not many chally's had that.
The v9k is a super rare item.
If sub frame connectors were installed the collectors will turn a nose to it,usually.
sucks there are screws on the console lid.
Not sure why they didn't replace the dash wood grain since there is a weird section on the right and some wear at the reset button.
Door panels do look weird with no wood grain.
Great car though! Those rear interior panels, if original and not painted are like hens teeth. Very hard to find. Not as hard as red(I've been looking for a long time). But still a very very difficult part to find much less purchase.
I wonder if there is a build sheet. Assuming there is since it states 15" rallies are original.

I purchased a '70 Challenger R/T in 1987 from the original owner (one of my college professors) and it didn't have the woodgrain inserts in the door panels. I've seen others as well. I think their presence relates to date of production. Seem to remember early production cars not having them.

Nice car.

SEs got the "Special Edition" inserts all year
all non-SEs (with leather or with cloth/vinyl interior) received the "FRATZOG" insert all year
all non-SEs (without leather & without cloth/vinyl interior) from start of model year 'til some time around November got nothing
woodgrain inserts with the "FRATZOG" were put in all non-SEs/non-Deputies after that
all Deputies got nothing

Great car, great options and a good restoration. The FK5 with Orange bumblebee and the luggage rack sets it apart. Being a somewhat early build car it might've been built before the Woodgrain door applique was on most all trim lines except the Deputies.
Both E-bodies in 1970 got a lot of running changes during the prodcution year, the styling was a hit but the rest of the car needed a bunch of attention in other areas.

Back