Statistics

jmustian

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Is there somewhere that list yearly statistics. For example how many gold cars, how many convertibles, how many ac? Etc?

Is there somewhere that list yearly statistics. For example how many gold cars, how many convertibles, how many ac? Etc?
Information on how many of a particular body style, according to the engineering model code exist. Chrysler Historical has that information. Not sure if they bother to look it up for people. Information on options installed on cars is much more spotty. Depends on the model year and the market. Again Chrysler Historical has this information but like production numbers I'm not sure they have the skill, the desire or the time to look such information up.

Also, whenever you see someone claim that "XXX car was built with this or that option" when it comes to a Chrysler product, what they're claiming isn't true. Chrysler documented the installation rate of options based on SALES, NOT PRODUCTION. So about 100% of the time, statements like this really mean there were that many of "that" car SOLD in the US. There was a separate report for Chrysler. And the old wives tale of Canada getting 10% of what the US got isn't true. Depending on what year, what make, what model, what body style, what engine and so on, that supposed "10%" can be 33% and in at least one case it was 100%.

Lastly, as far as I know there are ZERO records on cars exported outside of North America as well as there are ZERO records on cars BUILT outside North America.

Information on how many of a particular body style, according to the engineering model code exist. Chrysler Historical has that information. Not sure if they bother to look it up for people. Information on options installed on cars is much more spotty. Depends on the model year and the market. Again Chrysler Historical has this information but like production numbers I'm not sure they have the skill, the desire or the time to look such information up.

Also, whenever you see someone claim that "XXX car was built with this or that option" when it comes to a Chrysler product, what they're claiming isn't true. Chrysler documented the installation rate of options based on SALES, NOT PRODUCTION. So about 100% of the time, statements like this really mean there were that many of "that" car SOLD in the US. There was a separate report for Chrysler. And the old wives tale of Canada getting 10% of what the US got isn't true. Depending on what year, what make, what model, what body style, what engine and so on, that supposed "10%" can be 33% and in at least one case it was 100%.

Lastly, as far as I know there are ZERO records on cars exported outside of North America as well as there are ZERO records on cars BUILT outside North America.
Interesting! Installation rate based on "sales", not "production"? Are "sales" related to what the customers bought off of the dealers lots and not what that corp sold to the dealers, as vehicles "produced"? If the cars sat on the sale bank holding lots, did those "sales" happen when the dealers bought the cars for their dealership inventory? Or did those "sales" from the factory result when the floorplan with Chrysler Financial was paid off?

It has always seemed that better records were kept for the B- and E-body cars than C-body cars, from what I've seen. Or at least more people paid attention to the B- and E-body cars back then and later. I heard more conversations about particular combinations regarding those cars in earlier times, after "production numbers" for Chrysler products started to happen.

One year in the later 1980s, I was at the Dallas Mopar Club's annual Labor Day car show at Preston Road Chrysler-Plymouth. Several of our Cowtown Mopars Perf Team members were there, too. After the main activities stopped for the evening, I accompanied a club member to meet a friend of his who worked for one of the largest Mopar salvage yards, back then. I later determined it was probably the Slobe yard in KS. The employee had a card file box of data plates he had removed from salvaged/crushed cars. They had a lively conversation about option combinations.

In the course of the conversation, it was mentioned that the yard owner had a connection in Alaska, who was in possession of a E-body 'Cuda convertible with a white billboard quarter panel "stripe", which with the particular color/trim/engine/transmission combination, was "one of 11" such cars built like that. IF they determined this from the percentages of installation figures or differently, that was not an issue. From that alleged factory number, the attrition rate could then be used to project how many were left as rolling around. I could tell they knew much more about these things than I did, as this was way back then before anybody other than Corvette people were concerned with such.

Now, when I hear somebody talk about their car being "rare" and "valuable" as it is a "One of ___" car, I take it as "conversation to be verified", IF I am interested in verifying such. No more, no less. The conversation I mentioned was between two guys who knew what they were talking about, so that was a conversation I paid attention to and didn't question.

In the case of HEMI or Wing Cars, they are rare enough to justify their value, with option/color combinations being icing on the cake. In the case of other Chrysler vehicles, most of the "One of ____" cars were more oddball than not, but uniquely Chrysler Corp all the while.

When all of the A,B,C,E-bodies were new, back then, I was reading the option lists and could speculate as to how popular particular options and such could be in the general public or the niche markets, too. No need to get concerned with "One of ___" back then. Nor in present time, either. IF somebody might be concerned, I'll consider what they are concerned with, think about it, then continue on with what I was doing.

Y'all enjoy!
CBODY67

My car is a nobody haha. Just was interested because a lot of Ford's at a car show had a place to get that information.

This is my reply from Chrysler Heritage.

Hello James,

Thank you for contacting the Historical Services. Unfortunately, we do not have build records after the 1967 model year in our files. These records were never transferred to the archives and do not exist within the company. We do not have a source to whether these exist outside the company, as well. I have attached specifications.

As for production numbers, figures by options or paint/trim do not exist within the company. The only production numbers we have are by body style only for US production. Below is what we can provide:

1969 Chrysler 300

2 Door Hardtop – 16,075

4 Door Hardtop – 14,464

Convertible – 1,933

You may want to try the Chrysler 300 Car Club. Here is a link to their site: CHRYSLER 300 CLUB INTERNATIONAL, INC.. I am very sorry we could not help you further. If you have any questions, please let me know.

Danielle Szostak-Viers

Stellantis Historical Services
Conner Center
20000 Conner St.
Detroit, MI 48234

So, where does the whole 1 of 1 or 1 of 13 info come from? If they didn't keep the figures how are we to believe, the Galen Govier reporting?

Back