Stromberg Carb Swap

pgrz

Reaction score
Greetings! First time on the Forum. I've had a '67 Newport sedan for about two years now, and need to clean/rebuild, or replace the Stromberg WWC3 3-276 2 bbl. carb. Being a newbie to major auto work, I thought a full rebuild might be beyond my skills. I bought an older rebuilt 3-263 at a good price, thought it would be a good fit/replacement. I just looked at an old Motor's Repair Manual (see attached photo) and it looks like the 3-263 is from '66, but is intended for a higher fast idle than the 3-276. So, what is the impact of using the 3-263 on the '67 Newport, and what model might that 3-263 have been intended for? Should I wait and find the correct model? In the end, I want to keep the car "original", so I don't want to go away from the Stromberg. Thanks in advance for the advice!

Motor's Manual Stromberg Selection.jpg

IMG_3074.JPG

IMG_3067.JPG

Welcome to the site.

That's a beautiful car. It's nice to see another Newp sedan.

Need more pics please.

If you can turn a wrench, you can rebuild a carb. Once rebuilt, that Stromberg will be dead reliable.

I had never approached a carb before myself (was always scared to try). I bought a kit and took a whole bunch of pics before during and after removal and disassembly. Counted the turns on the mixture screws and took more pics of everything.

Took it all apart and soaked everything in a can of Berryman's carb cleaner. It took a few rounds of soak clean and re-soak.

Blew all the passages out with compressed air, let it dry, then reassembled with the rebuild kit. Bolted it back on and fired it right up. A little tweaking of the mixture and idle and it ran like a watch.

Give it a try, we'll help you through it.

For your viewing pleasure, here's another thing I had never tried before:

'67 Newport headliner, windlace, and trim | For C Bodies Only Classic Mopar Forum

If you put your mind to it, you can get through anything.

Hope the input helps.

John

Great suggestions and encouragement. When I bought the spare carb i bought a rebuild kit as well, as a back up. I'll put the "new" carb on soon, as soon this Wisconsin winter turns to spring. Then I'll rebuild the original as a nice indoor project next winter.

So far I've replaced plugs, wires (which were original), alternator belt, power steering hose, windshield washer pump, and fuel pump, so nothing real adventurous yet. I had someone else do ball joints and bend a couple of new brake lines for me. This year I plan on doing the carb, hoses/stat, and tailpipe/muffler. I will say that every project builds confidence.

And thankfully, the interior and exterior are in great shape, so no major projects there.

Thanks again. The postings I read on this site are helpful and not the condescending one-upsmanship I've seen on other car enthusiast sites. I'm glad I've finally got involved.

Do yourself a favor and get a factory service manual, or find one on-line. The Motors Manual will get you just so far. Here's a list of factory service manuals, no '67 Chrysler, but the '67 Polara Monaco will give you the same mechanical info. This same site has parts books too, another good thing to have.
MyMopar - Mopar Forums & Information - Service Manuals

Do yourself a favor and get a factory service manual, or find one on-line. The Motors Manual will get you just so far. Here's a list of factory service manuals, no '67 Chrysler, but the '67 Polara Monaco will give you the same mechanical info. This same site has parts books too, another good thing to have.
MyMopar - Mopar Forums & Information - Service Manuals
Agreed. Found a shop-worn '67 Chrysler manual last year on eBay and it was the best $15 I've ever spent. The old Motor's guide was helpful in finding a list of all Mopar Stromberg applications from '62 to '68. Thanks for the response!

Since you are in Wisconsin, try these guys in Oak Park, Illinois just outside of Chicago, they have been rebuilding my carbs for years and very reasonably priced. They can restore or repair ANY carb.
A+G Carburetor - Injection Inc.
708-848-1215
frankcronin2000@yahoo.com

Need to add a note about these Strombergs.
The supposedly "correct application" rebuild kits rarely have the pump assy in them that match the one of the carb. you are rebuilding.
Match yours to the one in the kit first or you're going to be ½ way through and may find the the one your kit came with is the wrong one. AMHIK.

PicsArt_04-07-09.41.17.jpg

The supposedly "correct application" rebuild kits rarely have the pump assy in them that match the one of the carb. you are rebuilding.
Match yours to the one in the kit first or you're going to be ½ way through and may find the the one your kit came with is the wrong one. AMHIK.

View attachment 75407

I wonder how well those leather pumps hold up when subjected to ethanol gas . . .

View attachment 75407
Thanks for the info, and for the start to the leather pump discussion.

Back