Surface rust removal

Are these scalers safe to use on inside of body panels(rear 1/4 panels) to remove undercoating?

NO. It will dimple the hell out of the panel. It does to floor panels too but generally most people don't care since no one really ever sees the bottom of the car.

I found for undercoating that was somewhat pliable, WD-40 was the best. I have about an 1/8 layer of it on the entire trunk floor. I don't know what her grandfather was thinking but I bought a gallon of wd40, and use spray bottles to apply it. I went out and soaked about a 1ft by 1ft section for about 3 days applying a spritz everyday so it would stay moist. By day 3 the undercoating was scraped off the metal with a putty knife like cake frosting. I was so soft and pliable. Another spritz and wipe down with a towel to get the remaining goo.

I agonized over all this rust converter stuff, did a ton of research and decided that all those products out there is simply, in one fancy form or another this chemical.
I used it. IT WORKS!!!! It's cheap. Did I say IT WORKS?

http://www.amazon.com/Skyco-Ospho-S..._sbs_60_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0S3HWAP4D0RVN6YKB7H9

31pYwvpI4zL.jpg

After a vigorous workout with this first of course:

weiler-cup-wheel-brushes.jpg
Finally, encapsulate the treated area with an OIL BASED paint such as Rustoleum.

Actually I have used it and found that it didn't work on the ship. On the ship I now use what MARAD uses and that is Corroseal. The car is Picklex 20 as it seems to be the favorite of those who do restoration paint jobs over other stuff out there.

What does MARAD stand for? MARAD stands for Maritime Administration.

[h=1]Corroseal rust converter is an elite, industrial strength product for all your marine, household, automotive, and industrial rust problems.[/h][h=1]Paint, Prime, Convert Rust in One Step[/h]
[h=5]AWARD-WINNING TECHNOLOGY[/h]
Picklex® is the only pre-treatment/conversion coating which can completely remove the oxidation from the metal surface (both ferrous and non-ferrous), provide a conversion coating, seal the coating and stop the oxidation process, all in one step, eliminating the adhesion failure.

Man, you really made me do my homework. Lol.
So which s better, 85% Posphorous, Corroseal, or Picklex?
Didn't quite understand....

I started using Picklex 20 back in 2008 on autos. Didn't discover Corroseal until 2011 when I saw the MARAD guys, in Suisun, using it to stop rust on the reserve ships. Since I was familiar with Picklex 20 under urethane, but not Corroseal under, I stuck with it. Figured if Corroseal didn't work on the ship I could easily strip the painted area and go over it again. Not so easy to do on a spray painted car. Don't care for phosphoric acid as it needs to be thoroughly rinsed off metal before you can lay primer. Hard to get it all on a car and impossible to do on the carrier.

MARAD = U.S. Government Maritime Administration

Back