The Crispy Chrysler

You have to wire wheel it first before you know what to do next. That produces a lot of surprises.

Yours truly has a thread on what looks like the exact same trunk.

http://www.forcbodiesonly.com/mopar...they-make-a-trunk-floor-pan-for-a-67-Chrysler

After wire wheel:

ddov28.jpg

When finished.

2vxezb6.jpg

Stan is that the before and after of your car?

Might as well show a pic of the X with the Magnums too then ;)

I cant believe I missed this post Bry! just for you brotha...

DSC03216.JPG

In Newport News, she has finally gotten some love in the past couple weeks. Been laying down FatMat insulation to keep the wheelhouse chilled and quiet. She is a cruiser after all.

I do still need to re-gasket the front and back windshields. I reckon I could do it myself, but I think I would rather have a pro do it for a reasonable fee.

Pics...

DSC05535.JPG
DSC05537.JPG
DSC05534.JPG
DSC05541.JPG
DSC05543.JPG

update...got the carpet in, and letting it lay flat and working in all the corners before cutting it.

DSC05567.JPG
DSC05572.JPG

and BIG thanks to mrfixit for his carpet thread and the two videos he posted on carpet installation.

soooo anudder update...laid the carpet in the car and gave it a few days to acclimate. I open up the car after a couple days (it rained heavily the night before) and the carpet in the driver's rear pan was soaked!!! F#%^^&#!!!!!

I check the weatherstripping around the doors etc and it is fine! oooook, so I dig into it some more and found this...

DSC05578.JPG

Looks like the Chrysler vinyl Gods claim another victim. crap. so I have already contacted Murray to see if he has a new dutchman panel. The car is almost ready to cruise around, and I dont want to wait till I install the dutchman to drive it.

I want to plug the holes and either paint it with POR-15 or use some of the vinyl top material I have to cover it in the interim.

My question is, what can I use to plug the holes-so as to not soak my brand new interior-until I fix it properly? JB weld? caulking?

Mind you, it will be covered until I fix it so as not to be a GIANT eyesore.

what say ye, distinguished members of FCBO?

couple mo pics...

DSC05589.JPG

DSC05585.JPG

The carpet looks good in there. I saw seats but they had something over the bottom front so I assume some tears. You addressing them to if they are in fact ripped? The rest of the seats look really nice.

IDK about the rusty rain incursion area. Maybe some duct or gorilla tape for short term? I'm sure there will be better suggestions coming along soon. BTW Stan also addressed a similar problem with bittersweet ... involved some surgery though

The carpet looks good in there. I saw seats but they had something over the bottom front so I assume some tears. You addressing them to if they are in fact ripped? The rest of the seats look really nice.

IDK about the rusty rain incursion area. Maybe some duct or gorilla tape for short term? I'm sure there will be better suggestions coming along soon. BTW Stan also addressed a similar problem with bittersweet ... involved some surgery though

Thanks Bry! yeah, the front seats have a tear in em on the *** part. I have a "plastic welder" I got from eastwood that might just do the trick until I can find a new cover. The rest of the seats and soft goods cleaned up pretty nice considering there was a 6 year old running amok back there. I found nail polish, candy, all sorts of crap. lol

DSC04451.JPG

DSC04518.JPG

DSC05451.JPG

DSC04515.JPG

DSC04513.JPG

DSC05056.JPG

Surgery is definitely on the horizon. once I source the panel and borrow "miggy" from my buddy, welding will be had. Ill check out Stan's thread. thanks for the lead!

Marglass or 3M™ Short Strand Reinforced Filler as it is called now is just the ticket for for that job.

3M Short Strand Reinforced Body Filler gallon 1160

Kevin

hot damn Kevin! that does look like the ticket! thank you so much!!!

and the cool thing is I have an auto body supplier (Terrace Company, Villa Park, IL) that's right down the street from me who sells all types of auto body items!

if this is just a driver, patch it with that pookey after you treat the rust. don't just poky it, it will be worse sooner than later.

if this is any kind of a keeper car, get it fixed now. don't wait.

- saylor

Fix it right with new steel. The stranded fillers (used to be called tiger hair etc.) have been around for years and they are pretty much for used car dealers to make a rusted car look better. It lasts a while, and then fails pretty miserably and then the repair gets even more expensive.

I've seen it many times.

If you just want to seal it so you can use it for the summer I would use silicone or urethane sealer. But come fall or winter definitely repair it with metal and body work it. When you repair it are you going to paint the roof and leave it or go back with vinyl?

Ill paint it to seal it, and put the vinyl back on.

I like the look and I want to keep all the trim on it.

Back