The unknown control arm

46Hud

Reaction score
As I mention elsewhere, I bought a hot rod with a (supposedly) 69 Fury iii front suspension. I need to replace the upper control arm bushings prior to taking this vehicle on about a 6000 mile road trip.
The builder is deceased.

The Napa part # 12227 bushing which fits fury iii is not correct.

I have the Napa #12353 bushing which barely fits over the cross bolt ( OD 0.59) and has an outer shell OD of 1.36.

The bushing in the control arm has an outer shell OD is showing 1. 42

The Napa #10162 upper ball joint did fit.

So what the heck is this control arm off of?

I need get these rebuilt in order to get the alinement correct before I can leave. Thanks.

20240829_114707.jpg

20240829_114647.jpg

Have you checked the specs on the ball joint, without removing it?

Does the rest of the front suspension look like it came from what it is supposed to be from?

Just curious,
CBODY67

After posting above . . . I then wondered "With torsion bars and all?"

Not discounting that some builders do unusual things, depending on what they have access to, but the later Mustang II front suspension was a common change to many "hot rods" later on.

What is the "hot rod" these things are attached to?

Just curious,
CBODY67

Didn’t someone suggest truck or van for this uca in a different thread? Imperials also used that design.

Have you checked the specs on the ball joint, without removing it?

Does the rest of the front suspension look like it came from what it is supposed to be from?

Just curious,
CBODY67
As I mentioned, the Napa ball joint #10162 ball joint did fit. ( although the socket was not to be found. I took the smaller socket and a rotary cutting bit and opened up the smaller socket to make it fit) New ball joint on the left, old one on the right.

20240901_080158.jpg

Didn’t someone suggest truck or van for this uca in a different thread? Imperials also used that design.
After posting above . . . I then wondered "With torsion bars and all?"

Not discounting that some builders do unusual things, depending on what they have access to, but the later Mustang II front suspension was a common change to many "hot rods" later on.

What is the "hot rod" these things are attached to?

Just curious,
CBODY67
Torsion bars and all. I mentioned this in on the introduction post ( which is a no no as it turns out) Someone did mention van or truck. Unfortunately, 1/2 ton van or truck control arm bushing part number comes back to the #12227 which is not a fit .

20240829_114522.jpg

My question about the ball joint was related to "what does IT fit?" If that "fit" coincides with what you were told about the complete susp assy.

Thanks for the information and pictures,
CBODY67

Torsion bars and all. I mentioned this in on the introduction post ( which is a no no as it turns out) Someone did mention van or truck. Unfortunately, 1/2 ton van or truck control arm bushing part number comes back to the #12227 which is not a fit .

View attachment 679909
That's not a '69 Fury suspension.

Looks like F/M/J body which would put it into late 70's through 80's.

Just a thought, you could ask here: For FMJ Bodies Only

1978 Chrysler Cordoba for the upper control arm bushing?
I actually have the CAB for the Cordoba jc and its close. The OD on my CA bushing is 1.42 OD The Cordoba bushing (which is also Dodge Dakota pickup) is 1.35 OD.

My question about the ball joint was related to "what does IT fit?" If that "fit" coincides with what you were told about the complete susp assy.

Thanks for the information and pictures,
CBODY67
That Ball joint that does fits also fits a long long list of vehicles, all which seem to circle back to the incorrect CAB bushing. It doesn't fit for a Fury iii though.

I actually have the CAB for the Cordoba jc and its close. The OD on my CA bushing is 1.42 OD The Cordoba bushing (which is also Dodge Dakota pickup) is 1.35 OD.

1976-1979 Cordoba is 1.42.
1993 Dakota is 1.35.
I think.

That control arm looks like the ones that were on my 1979 Aspen. IF I am correct, I would think that car would have the transverse torsion bars too....
Do you have any more photos?

For kicks, I went to the NAPA website and pretended I was looking for an upper ball joint for a Dodge Aspen. The ball joint that came up is.......10162.
Maybe that helps solve the mystery at least a little bit?

Last edited:
Yeah that's the Mopar FMJ suspension and K frame. Pretty popular swap for hot rods I was told.

Ask for parts for a 1978 Lebaron and you'll get everything ya need.

Thank all you guys very much. You're all above and beyond in my book. I've been bouncing off this problem for several weeks and many trips to the parts house. The mystery wouldn't have been solved without you's. And JustCarbs was right on the money. O'Reillys had the 1976-1979 Cordoba CAB and that was the huckleberry. I've got them installed and heading to the alignment shop.

I'm going to have to correct you guys on this one.

No question about it, that's an isolated K member used in the 1973 and up B bodies, Cordoba/Charger to 1979, and R bodies up to 1981.

The FMJ has transverse torsion bars that connect to the outboard area of the lower control arm.

FMJ suspension.JPG

They all use the same upper ball joint, but the upper control arm bushings only fit the B/R bodies.

Jeff

That there be the strut and sway stopper.
The torsion bar be the one what's in the back on the left under the frame.

Back