Thinking about buying a '70 Fury...

Mr.Ed

Reaction score
I've been wantin' a Fusie for a long time now and I came across this:

002tyl.jpg

004hg.jpg

It's a Gran Coupe with original paint, paisley top, factory 383 is gone, replaced with a 400, original bench seat replaced with c-body buckets (without the paisley inserts) auto on the column and it needs a carpet. Overall nice shape and complete however, there was obviously some rust repair. This car bounced back and forth between the seller and his buddy 3 or more times. His buddy did the engine swap and the "rust repair".

This car is approximately 300 miles from me and I have yet to see it in person. The seller is firm on $3800. What do guys think?

If you can't get there yourself I'd have someone independant and competent check it out mechanically and and look very closely at the body work. If that checks out then the asking price is reasonable. My .02

Thanks Fred. It was a tossup between this and a '72 Gran Coupe thats in worse shape but less than 1/2 the price. Both cars are within 30 miles of each other.

It was a tossup between this and a '72 Gran Coupe thats in worse shape but less than 1/2 the price.

Pay now or more later. You'll be happier with a car in better shape to start off with. If you think the other one is twice as bad its probably in reality four times worse.

Pay now or more later. You'll be happier with a car in better shape to start off with. If you think the other one is twice as bad its probably in reality four times worse.

Agreed. Once you start taking things apart to fix rust, it's never better than you thought, always worse!

Last edited:
I love the '70 hideaway headlight grill! That looks like a good deal for $3,800.

Look deeper, looks like some rust in the quarters, non original engine or interior. Give it a good look before your sure its all there and solid enough for you.

I have a pic of the inside of the trunk and it shows where there's a patch on the right quarter. Can't tell if it done right or not. As of 2 days ago the seller was supposed to find out from his buddy and let me know how it was "repaired." Still waiting for the phone call.

Well, after all that he sold out from under me. He says he sold it to his sister... whatever. I had told him I was coming Sunday to look at it, he said fine. I'm glad I called before leaving. You would think he would let me know, being fully aware I was going to drive 300 miles. :angry2:

yeah, you would think so. Don't be too disappointed those aren't that uncommon and another will come along if your willing to wait and keep on the hunt.

That looks like an exact twin to a car I know of in a personal junkyard. Same car, color, Paisly top & interior, factory engine and body style. To bad the car is rusted to death and the roof is smashed.

Was that car in Vermont? I saw it on CL... if so it's now in front of a Ford dealer on their lot.

No, the car was in Maryland. Got more info on the Vermont car? I'm still looking...

It's enroute to our summer home on Lake Champlain and unfortunately we only get up there every few weeks... sorry to be unable to provide better info on the car sooner.

Back