USS Lexington found

WOW! I have always been fascinated by the idea of finding that ship since it is so close to Australia, there were PBY aircraft that flew from Townsville and took part in that battle. Amazing.

That truly is amazing; thank you for sharing this. Definitely would of missed it. I’ve always been fond of Lady Lex and have a few posters of her final days hung in my home - lest we forget.

83A93BE7-87E2-4D80-ABEA-9269647DC2EC.jpeg

C22CAA78-D1F9-4958-BC71-2C7BAA81E862.jpeg

it would be interesting if they find the Shoho, Japanese light carrier sunk at Coral Sea. Paul Allen did find the Yorktown sitting upright off Midway and part of the gun deck from the Kaga. It would be interesting to see any other Japanese carriers

Amazing discovery.....from the the greatest and one of the darkest periods of our nation's history. All gave some some gave all!

i wish i could copy the picture i found on another site that shows a F4F-3 Wildcat with 4 kills on it and 2 more TBD Devastators. The paint is still bright and windows are still in place

Maybe we can have him find MH370 since the govt cannot seem to find it. Thanks for sharing this, BTW.

Just released yesterday by Paul Allen's group. Get a load of how clean and clear the paint is on that TBD Devastator. Can't wait for more pictures to come out.

VIDEO: Billionaire Paul Allen Finds Lost World War II Carrier USS Lexington - USNI News

If your are into sunken wrecks, Robert Ballard of the Woods Hole Institute has explored the Titanic, Bismark, HMS Hood, Lost ships of Savo Island and a large number of others. Most still come up on Amazon by the authors name.

Dave

Last edited:
Saw another picture of a Wildcat. Plane F-2 of the Tomcatters with four kills on it's fuselage. Here is a shot of F-1 and F-13 of the same squadron. These planes went down with the ship also. As for the pilots, if you know your Navy history, then these two need no introduction. One devised the Thach weave to enable two Wildcats to deal with a Zero (AIR COMBAT MANEUVER# THACH WEAVE:) and the other, Butch O'Hare Medal of Honor winner, has a airport named after him.

020254.jpg

Saw another picture of a Wildcat. Plane F-2 of the Tomcatters with four kills on it's fuselage. Here is a shot of F-1 and F-13 of the same squadron. These planes went down with the ship also. As for the pilots, if you know your Navy history, then these two need no introduction. One devised the Thach weave to enable two Wildcats to deal with a Zero (AIR COMBAT MANEUVER# THACH WEAVE:) and the other, Butch O'Hare Medal of Honor winner, has a airport named after him.

View attachment 172590
There has been a lot of talk on a couple of boards about possibly saving a TBD or the F4F with the kill markings. It would certainly be interesting. The thing nobody is sure about does the US Navy still own the wreck or because it is in international waters it is open to anyone who wants to disturb it.

Very cool! Let's bring those planes up and restore them! Years ago, my dad and I were at the Santa Monica Airport Museum and they were restoring a Zero they had pulled from the ocean (can't remember where) so it is possible.

Update from my Warbird Forum. It is not F-2 but F-5 as seen in this photo. Possibly flown by Lt. Albert Vorse.

Remember all US Navy planes belong to the Navy, in perpetuity, no matter where they are. Any plane lifted automatically goes to Pensacola.
9518140-3x2-700x467.jpg
40613912412_ceae34392f_z.jpg

Back