Valve Cover Breather Cap

SPF Required

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Seems like every time I take my car out for a drive, a small bit of oil makes its way out of the breather cap on the valve cover. I have the cast aluminum Mopar Performance covers, with what I would call an ‘typical’ breather cap.

any recommendations on anything better I should be looking for?

thanks!

Seems like every time I take my car out for a drive, a small bit of oil makes its way out of the breather cap on the valve cover. I have the cast aluminum Mopar Performance covers, with what I would call an ‘typical’ breather cap.

any recommendations on anything better I should be looking for?

thanks!

The breather cap might not be the problem if the valve covers are not baffled, some of the after market covers were a track only application and did not have a baffle to control oil splash. The lack of a PVC or an engine with excessive blow by can also cause oil to be thrown out of the breather.

Dave

Thanks for the quick reply. I am always a bit embarrassed that I do not know more details about my own car... but I always appreciate the education. These are the covers I have on my 440 (pic from the Internet). Is that the baffle on the underside?
11A95FCC-F656-4E3F-BB7B-78B9B3041AC7.jpeg

The pcv valve should have a baffle under it, too.

Our '66 Newport 383, completely OEM stock, would put a spot on the lh exhaust manifold top, just where oil from the normal breather cap would drop every so often, from the lowest part of the breather's edge

The hogs hair filter in the cap would become coated with oil, as a normal course of things. When the engine stopped, with no flow into the breather, any oiliness would normally migrate to the lowest part of things, which would then drop onto the lh exhaust manifold. The fix would be a CAP or closed pcv system breather, where the incoming air was sourced from the air cleaner body, rather than "open air". It would have a hose nipple on it, rather than many open holes around the bottom edge.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Thanks for the additional info. @CBODY67 i think what you described is what I am experiencing.

@Davea Lux i am not running a PCV system. Any suggestions on where I might research an aftermarket system?

thank you again for your advice and guidance!

Thanks for the additional info. @CBODY67 i think what you described is what I am experiencing.

@Davea Lux i am not running a PCV system. Any suggestions on where I might research an aftermarket system?

thank you again for your advice and guidance!

You should be able to source the PCV valve and the hose pretty much anyplace, and the carb should have a PCV port at the base. Run the PCV from throttle plate vacuum not from the manifold. The grommet in the valve cover should be available thru Mopar performance if it is a specialty unit. Most of the after market valve covers used the factory grommet and those are readily available thru many vendors. E-Bay search should turn up suppliers.

Dave

Back