Was Passenger Side Mirror an Option on 1965 Fury?

Henrius

Reaction score
I am trying to restore my 1965 Fury III to show quality but wanted a passenger side rear view mirror for safety and convenience. There is a guy who sells reproductions that are left-right identical. I am tempted to install one, but do any of you know if it was a factory option on this trim line?

The non-remote control mirror was left/right identical, and so you see them on both sides of C body cars the odd time (like my red 66 Monaco in my signature pic).

The remote control mirror (joy stick on driver's interior door panel) did not have a factory right side mate - those are reproductions that have been out for quite a while, but are NOT truly factory correct, although hardly anyone really cares! You can see those on my green 66 Monaco and my 66 T&C wagon in the signature pic - no one has ever commented on them being factory incorrect...

I am trying to restore my 1965 Fury III to show quality but wanted a passenger side rear view mirror for safety and convenience. There is a guy who sells reproductions that are left-right identical. I am tempted to install one, but do any of you know if it was a factory option on this trim line?

According to the order guides, no, it was not an option. My theory it’s probably better to be safe than “correct”. Radial tires were not an option for my car but it has them.

The remote control mirror (joy stick on driver's interior door panel) did not have a factory right side mate

The matching right side mirror for a remote is #2525938. Pretty close to the later B-body repops, but yes, they were available as a dealer option.

The 1966 accessory catalog showing the mirrors.

The 1970 Hamtramck Registry - 1966 Accessories Catalog Slideshow (Page 1)

The 1970 Hamtramck Registry - 1966 Accessories Catalog Slideshow (Page 1)

66acp26.jpg

66acp27.jpg

I still don't know how or where the car acquired it, but back around 79 or so I found a loaded 65 Monaco in a wrecking yard with a remote control passenger rear view mirror. Of course it followed me out of there - and I will point out that the inner door panels on every 65 I've ever removed had the pre-punched hole for a remote control. I've never yet found any literature offering one of these things, just my own observations.
Mike

I still don't know how or where the car acquired it, but back around 79 or so I found a loaded 65 Monaco in a wrecking yard with a remote control passenger rear view mirror. Of course it followed me out of there - and I will point out that the inner door panels on every 65 I've ever removed had the pre-punched hole for a remote control. I've never yet found any literature offering one of these things, just my own observations.
Mike
Since I don't have access to a passenger side mirror, is it possible to take the remote cables and put them in the passenger base?

I have a 65 Sport Fury, non-remote but side mirrors are rectangular while most others I have seen are round!

Since I don't have access to a passenger side mirror, is it possible to take the remote cables and put them in the passenger base?
Hmmm, I have a passenger non remote of the style that matches, and a driver's remote - any guesses where I'm trying to go?

Here's what a '65 mirror remote looks like when taken apart. If you'll notice, the bracket that holds the cables is oriented or "twisted" to fit the left (driver) side mirror.

igZ8ocH.jpg

So, no, you aren't going to just be able to take the guts and switch them to the right (passenger) side without fabricating a new bracket for the cables.

I'm working on my '65 Barracuda mirror right now using parts from two remote mirrors to make one good one.

How is the mirror held in place on the glass frame?

I'm thinking of getting some convex mirrors made

How is the mirror held in place on the glass frame?

I'm thinking of getting some convex mirrors made

I don't know how the manual mirrors are held in place, but the edges of the back are rolled over the beveled edge of the glass on the remotes. To get it out, you break the glass.

FHC6SKB.jpg

0sfIf9C.jpg

Okay then, it appears to be a do-able type of thing, just a couple minor issues to work out/around.
Start photo
upload_2018-4-29_12-34-56.png

Open them up to find the guts appear there:
upload_2018-4-29_12-35-46.png

The only difference is the manual one has a larger "pivot point", or socket on the head while the remote one has a little smaller diameter post that also has a spring around it between the mount and the back of the head - I'm assuming to add stability.

upload_2018-4-29_12-38-49.png

I haven't tried lubing the manual one yet, but it's currently stiff enough that I'd imagine the remote would have issues trying to reposition it.

And it appears the manual mirror is also rolled around the glass - I think if I was to try putting in a convex mirror I'd look for a self adhesive one the same diameter as the existing mirror.

There's even the hole for routing the cables to the door on the passenger side housing. Take just the passenger side housing and the driver side internals?

They don't make a self adhesive mirror in a 4" size :-\ only about 3¾”

FWIW, I bought a replacement mirror from this guy. Auto Car Mirror Glass Replacement, Just need the glass

The mirror size that will fit is 4 3/16" diameter. 4 1/4" is just a touch to big unless you want to grind the back a bit. The cheap eBay mirrors are crap... AMHIK .. ultra thin with cheap silvering and not worth the $10.

His mirrors are thicker and have the "tint" like an original mirror. You'll have to call him to get it... and he's an interesting guy to talk to.

There's even the hole for routing the cables to the door on the passenger side housing. Take just the passenger side housing and the driver side internals?
No, this pic shows that there is a left side version of the remote internal "frame". If you can adapt the right side "frame" to use the cables, then you should be able to do it.

Since these right mirrors are offered in reproduction, it would be interesting to see how the inside of the repop is configured.

91DzaVk.jpg

Henrius --
From the info I have, a passenger side rear view mirror was not a production-line option, but was a "Dealer-Installed" option.
Joe Godec

Henrius --
From the info I have, a passenger side rear view mirror was not a production-line option, but was a "Dealer-Installed" option.
Joe Godec

Thanks, Joe. It is interesting to find out how dealers upped their income by adding things. Headlight delay relay was another one later on.

Some things have been improved over the years, and mirrors are one of them. I would like to have convex glass like modern mirrors that give a wider field of view.

Here's what a '65 mirror remote looks like when taken apart. If you'll notice, the bracket that holds the cables is oriented or "twisted" to fit the left (driver) side mirror.

igZ8ocH.jpg

So, no, you aren't going to just be able to take the guts and switch them to the right (passenger) side without fabricating a new bracket for the cables.

I'm working on my '65 Barracuda mirror right now using parts from two remote mirrors to make one good one.

Thanks for these pics. Always wondered what the Mopar remote looked like, since I was familiar with the Ford product. Have you seen any of these for sale I might be able to restore and install in my Fury?

Back